Sign in to follow this  

2002 Kx250 parts on 2001 Kx250?

Hi everyone, my friend has a KX250 that he recently blew the top end. He was under the impression that it was a 2002 Kx250. We already bought the sleeve, piston, gaskets, ect. for a 2002 Kx250. However, I am looking at buying a new 2012 CRF450 and the guy who currently has the bike has no title. So went and looked at the bike and copied the VIN so I could call the Police Department to find out if it was reported stolen. I decided to look up my RMZ450 and my friends Kx250 since he left it over here to rebuild since I have a shop and proper tools. I know that the 10 digit of the VIN is the year of the bike, and as soon as I saw that it the tenth digit was a "1" I said "Aww sh*t..."

So anyways I need to know that a sleeve, piston, and gaskets for a 2002 Kx250 will fit on a 2001. Worst case is we have to sell the parts on ebay and rebuy for a 2001, but that will take at least 2 months to do.

Thanks, Kevin.

It's the exact same bike.

Are you sure, did they change the ports from 01 to 02? Because on the L.A Sleeve website the 2001 sleeve is a different part #, and the sleeve my friend bought said it fits 2002 - 2003.

Edited by Blooder291

It's the exact same bike.

No it isn't.

The porting and power valve components are different. The piston and head are the same.

The 2002 actually has quite a few unique parts that are exclusive to that year.

No it isn't.

The porting and power valve components are different. The piston and head are the same.

The 2002 actually has quite a few unique parts that are exclusive to that year.

So the sleeve won't work, but the piston and gaskets should?

So the sleeve won't work, but the piston and gaskets should?

Correct.

Why are you buying a sleeve anyway? Re-plate the cylinder.

Sleeving a plated cylinder is like replacing your 60" flat-panel HD TV with a 21" CRT model. It will get you going again, but it's a big step backwards.

• Like 1

Correct.

Why are you buying a sleeve anyway? Re-plate the cylinder.

Sleeving a plated cylinder is like replacing your 60" flat-panel HD TV with a 21" CRT model. It will get you going again, but it's a big step backwards.

I hear ya, but there are gouges 4 millimeters deep it the cylinder, when I used to rebuild my 2 strokes if the cylinder needed work I would always send it to US Chrome for replating. However, this is my friends bike, and the only way he could replate would be to bore it past the gouges, an he already bought a sleeve from ebay. The plan was to do this as quick as possible because when you send your cylinder in for replating, it takes like 2 - 3 weeks, but now it will probably take longer than that to resell the sleeve and buy a new one. Why cant they make an aluminum sleeve with that plating already on the inside? Then you could just buy a sleeve and install it and would be pretty much like you replated it, except you wouldn't have to send off your cylinder? Idk, maybe aluminum sleeves wouldn't bond well or maybe it just hasn't been thought of. 

Edit: After doing some research on this idea, it turns out some companies like L.A Sleeve and Advanced Sleeve make aluminum sleeves, but they are not pre plated and they say that they are sold to be installed and then plated. Why doesn't anyone do this? I think it could be a good idea?

Edited by Blooder291

They weld up the gouges, hone and replate.  Call Millenium.

I'll talk to my friend and see if he wants to do that