Sign in to follow this  

thinking about buying a 2003 kx250 need awnsers to my ?

This guy has a 03 kx250 that he would sell me for $800 just the bottom end needs to be rebuilt. How much do yall think it would cost to rebuild the bottom end

it's never "just" whatever they say it is. There's always more and that's all the seller is willing to admit too.

Will you be doing it on your own or paying a mechanic? Huge difference

Generally, when the crankshaft goes, so does the piston and inside cylinder walls.  Without seeing it, I would personally budget $800 for just the engine.  This is with me doing the work besides replating.  I would also be concerned that the forks need to be rebuilt, shock needs to be rebuilt, chain/sprockets replaced, tires worn out?, swingarm/linkage bearings, clutch, etc.

All KX's are high maintenance and high performance off-road vehicles.  If you think to yourself, "All I want to do is just ride around some", please be aware that the previous owner did too.  He "just rode it around some" until he rode it into the ground. He was focused on riding, not wrenching.

Do yourself a huge favor.  Save up more money and buy one that runs.  I know that "just $800" sounds tempting, but the final running price and trouble is a good bit more than just buying one that is already running.

There is NO WAY IN HELL someone should buy an 11 year old blown up bottom end bike for that much.

Yeah thats what I was thinking I would be doing the work my self he says bottom end needs rebuilt and he just doesnt want to put the money into it but I was thing about the top end to probly needs redone cause if im redoing the bottom im doing the piston and rings no matter what

Yeah thats what I was thinking I would be doing the work my self he says bottom end needs rebuilt and he just doesnt want to put the money into it but I was thing about the top end to probly needs redone cause if im redoing the bottom im doing the piston and rings no matter what

Personally if the rest of the bikes good I would buy it for 550-600. I would offer 500 and see what he says. I'm never afraid to lowball on a non running bike because a lot of the time they know there are more issues so they drop it way down.

Don't run a wiseco crank, they are tempting, but they are garbage. I've ran one before I knew better, won't be running again. Maybe one day wiseco will up their crank quality, but not anytime soon.

Make sure it hasn't been sitting for ages otherwise other stuff could be messed up.

Yeah the lowest he said he would go is $800 he wants $1200 for it and I said not worth it if its not running yeah ill never run wiseco or any of there stuff ill just buy oem parts for the bike the thing is hes 5 hours from me to just dont know if it would be worth it in the long run

Yeah that is exactly what I said ill tell him I have $700 cash and im sure the engine needs to be completely redone and money put into it ill let yall know what he says

Needing a full rebuild on the engine like that.. I'd be more inclined to 500.  If he doesn't take it just pass on it.  He says firm hoping someone will pay up that much, but busted bikes are a hard sell it seems, with so many non busted ones for not much more... 

If I did get it would the hot rods complete bottom end kit be the best?

You'll get differing opinions on this, but the Hot Rods crank that's currently in my KX250 has over 200 hours on it, and that's more hours than I got from the OEM crank.