Sign in to follow this  

Is this too good of a deal? Buy or not? Cheap 2011 CRF450

I have found a nice 2011 CRF450 for sale near me. It is stock with the exception of a pro circuit slip on, and a few other minor things. The guy is asking $3000 or trade for a zero turn lawn mower, I have already went and seen the bike and it is in great condition. The only problem is he doesn't have a title, a lot of people I know don't have titles for their bikes but I always have. I offered him $2800 for it since he doesn't have the title and he accepted. He assured me that he had the VIN looked up by a friend of his that supposedly works at the Lake Charles Police Department and even sent me a screenshot of his messages on from his phone saying it wasn't reported as stolen. I wrote down the VIN number myself and also called the DMV and they did say it wasn't reported as stolen, but I can't seem to find out if it was ever paid off from the dealer, I don't want to buy and then have it repo'd. It may have been bought in a state where titles for offroad vehicles aren't issued. Anyways, I am a little curious about whether or not to buy. Most Fuel Injected 450's around here are at least $4000, the guy is really nice, has a wife and some kids, I am sure he personally didn't steal the bike. He said he would make a Bill of Sale, however, if I buy and it does turn out to be stolen. Would I personally get in trouble for having stolen goods, or if I have a Bill of Sale will they go after the guy I bought it from? I really want this bike, but really don't want the trouble of obtaining stolen goods.

What should I do, I really can't afford a $4000 bike right now and feel like this is just too good of a deal. 

Check the case and frame for cracks. If you really wanna go the extra mile, turn the gas off and lay the bike on its right side, bar on a bucket or something and pull the oil filter. Look for metal flakes in the filter. As far as the title- I've never had anybody check my bike but then again I don't stop for anybody like that. And a bill of sale will definitely save you from any kinda of trouble. Worse comes to play out and he'll have to pay you the money back. But a bill of sale means he's obv confident nothing shady with it being legal. I say get it. That's a great price!

I have found a nice 2011 CRF450 for sale near me. It is stock with the exception of a pro circuit slip on, and a few other minor things. The guy is asking $3000 or trade for a zero turn lawn mower, I have already went and seen the bike and it is in great condition. The only problem is he doesn't have a title, a lot of people I know don't have titles for their bikes but I always have. I offered him $2800 for it since he doesn't have the title and he accepted. He assured me that he had the VIN looked up by a friend of his that supposedly works at the Lake Charles Police Department and even sent me a screenshot of his messages on from his phone saying it wasn't reported as stolen. I wrote down the VIN number myself and also called the DMV and they did say it wasn't reported as stolen, but I can't seem to find out if it was ever paid off from the dealer, I don't want to buy and then have it repo'd. It may have been bought in a state where titles for offroad vehicles aren't issued. Anyways, I am a little curious about whether or not to buy. Most Fuel Injected 450's around here are at least $4000, the guy is really nice, has a wife and some kids, I am sure he personally didn't steal the bike. He said he would make a Bill of Sale, however, if I buy and it does turn out to be stolen. Would I personally get in trouble for having stolen goods, or if I have a Bill of Sale will they go after the guy I bought it from? I really want this bike, but really don't want the trouble of obtaining stolen goods.

What should I do, I really can't afford a $4000 bike right now and feel like this is just too good of a deal. 

All states are different on how they would handle something like this.  Go down to the DMV and ask them what is involved.  Go t your local police station and explain to them what you are trying to do and ask them some questions.  Once you buy it, bill of sale or not, it may be your responsibility and not his.  Usually, if a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is.  That being said, do some homework, ask some more questions, ask the right questions, and ensure you are asking the right people.

The process might be simple, or it might not.  And yes, there are a few states that do not title dirt bikes, but they are becoming fewer and far between.  When they run the numbers, ask what other states they check with.  Some states share info and others do not.  Unfortunately, there is not a national database for this stuff.

Check the case and frame for cracks. If you really wanna go the extra mile, turn the gas off and lay the bike on its right side, bar on a bucket or something and pull the oil filter. Look for metal flakes in the filter. As far as the title- I've never had anybody check my bike but then again I don't stop for anybody like that. And a bill of sale will definitely save you from any kinda of trouble. Worse comes to play out and he'll have to pay you the money back. But a bill of sale means he's obv confident nothing shady with it being legal. I say get it. That's a great price!

I have already checked the entire engine and frame for defects or leaks, and everything was good, I doubt he would let me pull the oil filter without cash in hand. I will ask him if he could do it while i'm there if everything checks out. As far as the title goes, I am not so much worried about it being stolen. I called the police department around 15 minutes ago, and the guy I talked to said that this is a very common thing, he said people either lose the title or maybe never got one, or the bike has been sold and title never signed over ect. He said as long as I have proof that I bought this bike from him that the worse case would be I lose the bike and don't get my money back. I shouldn't get in trouble for harboring stolen property or anything as it should all fall back on him. Same goes for if the bike has not been paid off from the dealer and it would get repossessed I would be out $2800. However I think this might be a risk I am willing to take. I still am not sure why he is selling so cheap but maybe he just doesn't know the true value of the bike, I am afraid to ask him as he might bike out of selling for that price. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd like to hear. Maybe some similar stories or something?

I have already checked the entire engine and frame for defects or leaks, and everything was good, I doubt he would let me pull the oil filter without cash in hand. I will ask him if he could do it while i'm there if everything checks out. As far as the title goes, I am not so much worried about it being stolen. I called the police department around 15 minutes ago, and the guy I talked to said that this is a very common thing, he said people either lose the title or maybe never got one, or the bike has been sold and title never signed over ect. He said as long as I have proof that I bought this bike from him that the worse case would be I lose the bike and don't get my money back. I shouldn't get in trouble for harboring stolen property or anything as it should all fall back on him. Same goes for if the bike has not been paid off from the dealer and it would get repossessed I would be out $2800. However I think this might be a risk I am willing to take. I still am not sure why he is selling so cheap but maybe he just doesn't know the true value of the bike, I am afraid to ask him as he might bike out of selling for that price. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd like to hear. Maybe some similar stories or something?

Every once in a while a good deal comes up and "that guy" gets the deal. Maybe it's your chance to be that guy? Trust your gut, but I say go buy it and enjoy your good find.

It's a little too new to be missing paper work in my opinion. the dealer where it was bought should have copies of the Mso on file. There is a good chance the bank has the Mso and it was never paid off. I have bought

Old bikes like pre 2005 without papers but would be suspicious of a new bike without papers. Pay a little extra and get a bike with papers. My biggest fear in nj is having he police tow my bike for riding and not being able to retrieve it since I have no papers on it. Not sure if a Hand written bill of sale is legal to retrieve property.

• Like 1

I never buy anything without a title I made the mistake once and getting one was a big p.i.t.a!! The bike is only 3 years old, where did the title go? Where did the seller get the bike? I would try to go back as far as I could into the bikes history before I gave any money away. And if it is stolen or repoed you're out $2800. I'd rather own an older bike with a clean and clear title than a newer bike that's gonna be taken away in 2 months

Well here in Mississippi you don't get a title for a off road bike unless its actually street legal , just a letter of debt satifiedi if it was financed, if its not stolen its not stolen , I would ask the seller if there is a lein on the bike or where it was financed or was it paid in cash and make the call and

Quit second guessing or it will be gone to someone else , the price is not really that low , depends on how bad the guy wants or needs the cash !

Shit ill give him 2800 for it without a title cuz I got a 11 250 that I would get sick having to give it away for anything less that 3500

Edited by Whatwentwrong

if it's legit it would take him no time to get a replacement title

if you buy it it will take you a lot longer  to try and get one in your name

and it's illegal to sell a bike without a title in some title states  so maybe he want's to get off his ass and get the paperwork that should come with he bike in a title state

It's a little too new to be missing paper work in my opinion. the dealer where it was bought should have copies of the Mso on file. There is a good chance the bank has the Mso and it was never paid off. I have bought

Old bikes like pre 2005 without papers but would be suspicious of a new bike without papers. Pay a little extra and get a bike with papers. My biggest fear in nj is having he police tow my bike for riding and not being able to retrieve it since I have no papers on it. Not sure if a Hand written bill of sale is legal to retrieve property.

I never buy anything without a title I made the mistake once and getting one was a big p.i.t.a!! The bike is only 3 years old, where did the title go? Where did the seller get the bike? I would try to go back as far as I could into the bikes history before I gave any money away. And if it is stolen or repoed you're out $2800. I'd rather own an older bike with a clean and clear title than a newer bike that's gonna be taken away in 2 months

That is true, I will ask him where he got it from, and hopefully I can get this bike and somehow get some kind of paperwork for it. I have a few friends that buy/sell/trade their bikes all the time and they never get titles for their bikes. I know that this guy is at least the second owner I have a feeling that this is one of those bikes that has been traded or sold a few times and the title got hung up somewhere.

I bought a bike with out a title and put a lot of money in it. I decided to go through a title service in Vegas. Costs 300 and they give you a street legal Vermont plate and registration. Took almost 8 months. I wouldn't want to have to go through that again. The Vermont reg is worthless in nj can't get a nj street title and plate they check the vin. But it is good for proof of ownership.

Well everyone, it looks like I got really lucky. I asked him where he got the bike from and it turns out it was from someone I have met a few times at a local MX track. The original owner was someone who races and used this bike as a practice bike, he was someone who's dad bought him whatever he wanted, I know they had a fair amount of money because every time I saw him at the track he would always bring 2 or 3 bikes just for this one kid. So I am 99% sure that they bought this bike and paid it off. So apparently the bike was originally bought new at Rad Cycles in 2012, was used as a practice bike for a season and then sold to a friend of the person who currently has it and that friend sold it to him.  When I asked the guy "who has it" he immediately replied with the name of the original owner whose name I recognized. I looked him up and remembered him. I still don't know who has the title, but I feel a lot more comfortable now and I'm pretty sure that I will buy it.

Heres a pic

:GbEBgAn.jpg

Well looks like a got a hell of a deal, I also found out who has the title, and the only reason the title wasn't passed down was because when the original owner sold it the bike wasn't paid off yet. Anyways I am trying to get the title but at this point I am not to worried about it. There is nothing wrong with the bike except one of the fork seals is bad. It is in excellent shape and was taken really good care of.