Sign in to follow this  

Hot Rods Made in the USA

Thanks. I was involved with the manufacturing layout. That dual disk grinder is a bad boy! It grinds all four side of the rod parallel at one time. This is very state of the art for connecting rod manufacturing.

Very cool, I'm installing one of their cranks in my KTM 200 today and this makes me feel a little better about my purchase.  Thanks for sharing.

Rods are made in the usa but what about full crank assemblys?

The crank assemblies are manufactured in Taiwan. The crank factory that manufactures the webs is a well known OEM supplier to many famous brands - their quality is world class. Plus Hot Rods inspects the webs and completed assemblies anyway. Believe me the rod is the critical part. Webs very rarely fail.

Manufacturing quality in Taiwan these days is quite good.  If you own a bicycle, chance are, most of it is made there.

All carbon fiber bicycle frame are made in Taiwan and all includes the high end stuff.  I think there may be one frame that is made in the US.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Just buy a connecting rod and have it pressed on your OEM crank then get it trued. RB Designs does it for like $55 or something.

Who makes their crank bearings, I just had the cage on one of mine let go with only 34 hours on the motor.

During the manufacturing process layout for Hot Rods I visited several well known rod factory in Japan. They were still using the old mechanical twist process to produce parallel rods. Hot Rods has a very special dual disk grinder that allows different width rods to be ground simultaneously. This requires an expensive dual disk grinder that can profile the grinding wheels. As the video shows parallelism can be machined into these rods during the honing process - meaning the rod doesn't have to be mechanically forced into parallelism.. For years experts have believed that a mechanically straightened rod will slowly return to its pre-straightened form during operation. With Hot Rods this can't happen.

The Hot Rods process is absolutely world class and better than many OEMs.

During the manufacturing process layout for Hot Rods I visited several well known rod factory in Japan. They were still using the old mechanical twist process to produce parallel rods. Hot Rods has a very special dual disk grinder that allows different width rods to be ground simultaneously. This requires an expensive dual disk grinder that can profile the grinding wheels. As the video shows parallelism can be machined into these rods during the honing process - meaning the rod doesn't have to be mechanically forced into parallelism.. For years experts have believed that a mechanically straightened rod will slowly return to its pre-straightened form during operation. With Hot Rods this can't happen.

The Hot Rods process is absolutely world class and better than many OEMs.

I compared the rod on the Hot Rods crank to my OEM rod when I changed the crank. The rod on the Hot Rods crank seemed to me to have a slightly larger oil opening to the lower rod bearing. As the lower rod bearing has long been a KX250 weak point, I saw this as most likely a good thing.

I now have more hours on the Hot Rods crank than I got out of the OEM crank, so they must be doing something right.