Sign in to follow this  

Kick Starter Stiffer After Valve Shim

I swear my wife is crazy but apparently after I shimmed her '07 crf150r's valves the kick starter is "way stiffer than before".  I never noticed this, it's not really any different than my '08 crf250x or my '05 yz250f.

3 of her 4 valves were out of spec, so after I shimmed them into spec the bike ran just fine.  We went riding for 3 hours or so last weekend and the bike again, ran fine.

This was her first time on it since end of last season though (yay, snow!).  Is it possible I did something when I shimmed the valves or is she likely just nuts?  :lol:

Seems my topic was moved to land of the dead (CRF150R sub forum).  Strange because IMO this applies to all dirt bikes, not just this bike.

Seems my topic was moved to land of the dead (CRF150R sub forum).  Strange because IMO this applies to all dirt bikes, not just this bike.

Although unlikely, if the valves were tight before, getting them back in spec could restore some compression.  That increased compression may feel harder to kick over the bike.  I am kind of reaching as I have never noticed this on my CRF250 and the older ones are notorious for going tight.

If you are familiar with shimming and measuring clearance, it runs fine, and starts easy, then I wouldn't mess with it again.  Just give her the compression story and tell her it will have more torque and low end power or something like that.  I usually tell my wife "I am just checking the specs on the overhead girder control...uuuuuuum...I'm retarded". 

• Like 1