Sign in to follow this  

AP Detent sping vs 08+ AP upgrade

Hey guys,

I stumbled across a few threads today after ordering some parts and i'm wondering if I may have mis-stepped.

I was going to do some of the basic mods to the FCR so I picked up the following

Tokyomods spring

08+ AP pump upgrade

55 leak jet

45 PJ

165 MJ

168 MJ

NCVS Needle

Now as I do a bit more searching, it seems like the AP Detent spring and 08+ AP setup is kind of a either or kind of upgrade? I could be reading this wrong but wanted to get some solid confirmation.

Do I run any risk of overfueling if I use both, i'd hate to introduce a problem that i dont have...

Thanks!

There is the pump system...

..and here is the linkage that 'pushes' the pump system.

You want to upgrade to the 2008 CRF450R Pump system parts, and add the linkage spring upgrade so it will no longer lag behind the throttle.

• Like 1

There is the pump system...

..and here is the linkage that 'pushes' the pump system.

You want to upgrade to the 2008 CRF450R Pump system parts, and add the linkage spring upgrade so it will no longer lag behind the throttle.

Perfect then man, that works for me. I was just getting worried I misread what to do.

On a side note, is there any quick and drity way to get that carb out? Looks like there is a lot of business going on there. I saw the steps on tilting the subframe, but it still looks like thats a lot of connected shit?

Tilt the subframe its not that hard, if you have a rear brake switch make sure you unplug it :) . I too used to think it was a pain to tilt in reality it only takes a few minutes, puling the shock is also quick and gives you even better access. 

Tilt the subframe its not that hard, if you have a rear brake switch make sure you unplug it :) . I too used to think it was a pain to tilt in reality it only takes a few minutes, puling the shock is also quick and gives you even better access. 

Ya I think the shock would help, i'll prob end up doing that. I tried tilting it before I realized there was an access port on the bottom... I felt like a goof after that. I found that I had a lot of other connected junk, i think maybe i'll have to research what all the hoses are. I know the smog and junk is removed.

Here's my 8 min method

Remove:

seat

tank with shrouds

right side panel

exahaust back half

shock

lower subframe bolts

loosen back air boot

unplug brake light switch (MM!)

Tilt up subframe, and tighten top bolt to hold it up

loosen front boot

pull carb back, tilt to left for pump access, tilt to right for jet / hot start access

I have never taken a carb completely out yet....

This way all the cables, tps, hotstart, choke, and vent lines stay attached.

Just takes a minute or two longer to undo the hot start, TPS and throttle cables so you can remove the carb all the way.

IMO you (I) can do a better job quicker if the carb is out of the bike.

Eaiser to get a visual on any problem you may have as well.

Definitly going to be eaiser to swap out the spring with the carb off the bike.

• Like 2

Just takes a minute or two longer to undo the hot start, TPS and throttle cables so you can remove the carb all the way.

IMO you (I) can do a better job quicker if the carb is out of the bike.

Eaiser to get a visual on any problem you may have as well.

Definitly going to be eaiser to swap out the spring with the carb off the bike.

I have to pull the hotstart off anyways since I also picked up a hotstart nut to replace the plastic one, so yea.. might just end up yanking it all