Sign in to follow this  

EFI for 2008 KTM 505 xc-f

Does anyone know if it would be possible to convert my 2008 KTM 505 xc-f to EFI using the KTM 500 Keihin EMS?

No.

Well yes, but it would require a pile of parts, and an all new harness, and I'm not sure how you would deal with the air and intake boot issues.....

Why though? The Keihin carb works FANTASTIC when set up correctly.  All The KTM Baja bikes removed the EFI for the 2008 carb set up............

I've just always had issues with mine.  First it was bog which I mostly fixed with a powerbowl but I can't seem to get the air/fuel mix perfect.  Even with my R&D adjuster.  I'm probably going to send it off to Dick's Racing at some point to do some mods.  I've basically done their stage 1 mods already so I would just need 2 through 4 which is still $575.

You make the carb better  than FI for about $100

You have already done the PB2 and installed the linkage spring, I'm assuming....

...but there is more...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1080738-ap-detent-sping-vs-08-ap-upgrade/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1080817-tokyo-mods-complete-carb-worth-the/#entry11534456

Adjust the fuel screw.

Start with one turn out

Start the motor, get it hot, set idle low as possible.

Now turn the fuel screw for max idle. 

If it is higher than normal, drop it with the idle screw, and check

Try raising it again with the fuel screw.

If it won't go any higher, you are in the 'sweet spot'. Almost.

Now you 'blip' the throttle and listen to the rpms drop.

You adjust the fuel screw in 1/8 turns till you find the spot where the idle drops the fastest.

THAT is the sweet spot. 

Shut off the motor.

Accurately as possible, record the exact amount of turns with a sharpie, right on the float bowl.

You should be at 1.5-1.75 if your pilot is the right size, your choke, hot start, slide plate seal, and apump squirt timing are all correct.