New 450 rider in need of tips/suggestions

Are the valves known to get out of tune easier on 450's?

Not necessarily, but it's a routine maintenance item on 4-strokes and serious damage can occur if you don't keep them in spec. It's also a way of keeping track of how the top end is wearing. If the clearances are consistently shrinking, you know your valve seats are wearing out and a top end job is near.

I just recently got a new (well new to me) 05 crf450r. I was on an 01 kx125 and it's a very veryyy big change. Is their any tips to riding such a big bike?

Stay away from 1st gear until you get throttle control....  I got a '13' crf450r after not riding for almost 38 years (I'm 50 this year - my sons started riding, so I "had" to)... and 1st gear on my 450r is REALLY torqueeeee.  I'm ok with it now, but for a long time (I've had it since July '13') I just could not control 1st gear well enough to feel comfortable, plus on a track (which is mostly where I ride) 1st gear is really never needed or wanted.

I know more experienced riders feel the '13' crf450r is under powered compared to the rest of the pack, but for us relatively new riders, it has MORE than enough power.

Suspension (in my opinion) is infinitely more of a concern for safety and performance.