Sign in to follow this  

NEED HELP PLS REEAD!

Driving back from ontario in august wondering if anybody knows about those bike hitches for trucks that slide into your hitch.. was wondering if anyone would know if its safe to use that in a AWD subaru across country? toronto to kelowna.. open to suggestions if anyones join that way that time let me know!

As long as the wheels of the bike are about a foot off the ground, it should be fine. You could use tiedowns to the roof rack just incase.

As long as the wheels of the bike are about a foot off the ground, it should be fine. You could use tiedowns to the roof rack just incase.

sweet any thought on a front wheel drive if that would make a diff ovs besides fuel consumption… trying to find a cheap vehicle to bomb across the country with my baby

Just a tip but make your titles actually say what it is about. Like bike hitch carrier.  Some people might skip it who can help you just because it is so vague.

The only advice I have is make sure your tow package can handle it.  When you go buy the bike carrier it will say requires this type of hitch.  Figure out what you have on your ride and if it will hold it go for it.  It doesn't take much because your only carrying around 300lbs.

I bring mine out the highway all the time, my friend does too. I've even brought it over some real bumpy dirt roads too. You need a 2 inch receiver for it though. Your subie might ride a little low but if you have a roof rack you should have no issue securing it to the back. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397785160.492255.jpg

That shouldn't be a problem.  Handlebars are not that wide and the unit sticks out a bit.  I've been in the market for one but haven't bought one yet.  Trying to find the best deal/brand. 

The only way the handle bars would go through the window would be if it wasn't tied down properly OR if someone wrecked into the back of you but that would be a whole different problem.

The one with the yammy is mine. I built it using 2x2 square tubing (1/4 thick for hitch part, 1/8th for frame) and 5/8th flat bar. I strap the bike to the spare tire and the hitch.

The one with the kawi was bought at princess auto (same product lines are harbour freight). He puts an old pair of mittens on the bar to keep it the glass safe. I beeline he got this rack on sale for 90$.

I'm definitely getting one of those.  I have a short bed Tacoma that is lifted so it is a pain to get the bike in there and once it is some of the tire hangs off the tailgate.  Not to mention I have to take my truck bed cover off.

This is going to be my next purchase.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Driving back from ontario in august wondering if anybody knows about those bike hitches for trucks that slide into your hitch.. was wondering if anyone would know if its safe to use that in a AWD subaru across country? toronto to kelowna.. open to suggestions if anyones join that way that time let me know!

I'd say it's not save.  That's a lot of weight a long way from the rear axle.  A light weight trailer would be a better option in my opinion.  I pull two bikes behind my Mazda Protégé. 

it would be fine, not ideal but fine.

I drove a 03 ford focus 3000km with a dodge 3/4ton automatic transmission wedged in the truck sticking out 2 feet.  cant be worse than that!

I used one for years and loved it because it freed up my truck bed for other essentials that I didn't want to or didn't have room for in the cab.

I've switched to racing quads and have this carrier in my storage unit. It's in great shape and if you come and get it...it's yours!!

I used one for years and loved it because it freed up my truck bed for other essentials that I didn't want to or didn't have room for in the cab.

I've switched to racing quads and have this carrier in my storage unit. It's in great shape and if you come and get it...it's yours!!

where a bouts are you located?! if close by il take it for sure!