Sign in to follow this  

1976 Honda XL 125 Carb Questions - hear me out.

I have a 1976 Honda XL 125 that I've neglected for far too long and now have a carb problem.  The carb has been disassembled, cleaned up, and reassembled.  I've confirmed gas gets to the carb.  The problem is that gas refuses to fill the bowl after putting the bowl back on.  (I can manually manipulate the float without the bowl and gas freely flows).  Any tips on how to address this problem?

I'm prepared to purchase a new carb which presents a new problem and next question.  Any chance a >= 1979 carb will fit my '76?

Thanks so much!

Is the float height set wrong such that the bowl is pushing on the float when it's installed ?  or has someone put in the wrong float needle (too long) ?  are you installing the float upside down ? 

79 carb would probably be pretty close but check some on line parts diagrams like the ones here on the Thumpertalk store or one of the other dealers. 

Edited by BruceD_500

I suppose the float height could be wrong. I'll have learn more about how it's set. The thing is that it should have never changed back from when the bike ran many moons ago. Also, I've confirmed the float is going the right direction. Again, it should have never changed while I neglected the bike.

Also, thanks for the tip on the flanged carb. I went ahead an ordered it because it seemed worth the risk at just $25. It's suppose to come in a few days. Looking forward to sharing some good news on the bike soon!

I'm excited to get it fixed. My Grandpap and I used to work on it a lot when I was a kid. I'm older now and so is he. He is got the itch to see her run and I want to make him proud by doing so.

-------------------

Is the float height set wrong such that the bowl is pushing on the float when it's installed ? or has someone put in the wrong float needle (too long) ? are you installing the float upside down ?

Holy cow, you guys are so helpful!  The new carb is set to arrive today but I'm going to do everything I can to make the existing carb work.  Thanks so much for finding that link on the xl125 carb.  I plan to work on it this week and continue updating you with my questions/progress.

Great news! We found that the float was installed upside down which forced the needle shut. Flipped it back over, set the height to 24mm, cleaned up the carb, and we are back on the road! Here's some evidence of our victory. Thanks for your help!

XL 125 revival:

XL 125 - We have lift off: