USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Looking at older (less $$) Dual Sports, is high mileage bad? (24K)

Looking at spending less that 2500, preferably 1500 on any older dual sport. Not much preference except a good deal.  I don't know much and have seen several bikes advertised as "running great". Several of which have very high miles. Should that play a large factor in my selection? How long can these motors last?

I like everything about this bike, the mileage seems kinda crazy. Would buying it be idiotic? Your initial thoughts?

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4417689136.html

Thanks a lot.

You can find drz400s with less miles then that and still be in your price range.  It's a great all around dual sport.  I've owned one for many years. It isn't as good as a dedicated dirt back off raod but it is still a lot of fun to ride on easy trails.  They are the most fun riding around on the street.  I put around 5000k a year on mine.

That seems like a lot of miles for the price he has it listed as, and the year. The drz400 is a good bike. I have a crf250l I bought about a year ago and I ride it everyday and put about 4k on it. I would keep looking

Looks like the bike had mostly street use, pretty clean. I wouldn't be afraid of the miles. Maintenance is everything. Do standard used bike checks. I have no idea of the value of bikes in your area, doesn't seem wildly out of line. I had a DRZ, it's a good bike also.

Mike

Will those drz 400's do hwy speeds comfortably?

70 mph sometimes faster

With my drz400s (3x3, MRD/SSW full exhaust, FCR39MX carb) I hit over 90 on the GPS.  I don't remember the exact numbers but I think 99mph registered on the speedo but GPS said I was doing like 92 or 93.

That being said after about 75-80 the bike is vibrating, the wind is hitting you hard, and you feel like it is taken forever to get any more speed.  I don't like it on the freeway. 

Great bike for riding around the city though. 

• Like 1

I have a crf250l with stage 1 kit and it does 70-85 on the freeway pretty easy, it's 6 gear but to Go 70 it's not even half throttle. Plenty of speed for a dual sport on the freeway I think

My drz400 had the speed for the freeway it just wasn't ideal.  After about 5 miles your ready to get off the interstate.