Sign in to follow this  

what engine is the ssr sr 125

It only starts in nuetral. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out what engine is in my bike. I think its either a zongshen or jialing. Thanks a lot for any help. (btw the engine is painted all black)  Thanks again for any help im pretty frustrated.

The engine has to be started in neutral, it is a crank-mounted clutch design, and, as such, uses the trans shafts to turn over the crank to start It. 

My apologies, I should have been more specific. What is the actual name of the engine that is in my ssr 125? Thanks again

Hello brandon125,

After checking my engine, it says (on the frame sticker) it is a "Jinyun  kayq mtor machinery.co LTD"    OEM before this means 'original engine manufacturer".  So in short it is a 'Jinyun.'

so what does this mean?  I have no idea.  I assume the chinese got ahold of a honda engine and copied it.  I have heard some honda parts will fit on it.  But for our SSR bikes there are plenty of places out there on the net that sell parts for our bikes.

*As for your question, will bad valve adjustment cause backfiring.  the basic answer is YES, but it really has to be way off for this. (it usually is the carberator air bleed screw on the bottom of the carburetor bowl, turn it out 3/4 of a turn) If it is off by lets say, its out of specks more than .002 (thousands) then is when you can have engine damage and performance problems.  Get feeler gauges, from .002 through to .006.  Our ideal valve gap is .004, but can be .003 to .005. but no lower or higher.  (note: you can buy just one gauge .004)

What happens is, on a new motor, things stretch or shrink after the engine gets hot, then cool, then hot, etc this loosens the head, so the head needs to be re-torqued eventually. (after about the first 12-16 hours of riding, and once a year after that)  The same is true of the valve adjustments.   (note. the head torque in foot pounds is only 8 fp.  this requires a sensitive torque wrench. If you do not want to buy one, (around 30 bucks). you can torque most bolts close to what they are, by choking up on a 6 inch wrench will equal about 6 to 10 foot pounds if you use most of your muscles, to get  higher, slide your hand all the way to the end of the wrench and torque will be over 10 fp, to 17 or so.  So to check your head nuts, (ha ha I said nuts), Get a short 8mm wrench, choke up on it as far as you can, and tighten the four head bolts, about 1/2  turn, not more that 3/4 of a turn, and you should be ok.   NOTE: this is emergency method only without a torque wrench.  If you should snap one head bolt, it is MAJOR disaster the shaft that the head nut is on, is really long and goes all the way to the tranny box, where that is where it breaks, you never want this to happen.  so CHOKE UP on that small 6 inch wrench. Do not turn more than 3/4 of a turn and you should be ok.  or take it to a shop, it should not cost too much for the mechanic to torque ALL  your nuts to specs. 

Another note: these bikes come with loose crown nuts, steering stem nut too.  remove bars, move to one side so you can reach the crown top nut, (1 and 1/8th inch nut), you do not have to remove that  nut loosen it  then loosen the top ONLY fork tube nuts on both sides, then take a slot, straight edge screw driver, and with a hammer hit the nut CLOCKWISE to tighten it UNTIL (while on a stand)  your handlebars when pushed, to turn left and right do not slam against the stop, but drag just before hitting the stop and NOT BOUNCE BACK off of being fully turned either to the right or left.  This gives you much better steering control, no head shake too.  YOU will love this change.

So, too tight or loose valves are bad. Adjust them.  Turn out the air bleed screw, 3/4 turn (not the idle screw on the slide), you will have to re adjust the idle after air bleed adjustment.

This also fixes any backfiring on deceleration.

You once again should notice an increase in power.

good luck..  

keep asking if you get confused again.  Motorcycle improvements and or repairs are not always exact science.

Good luck, now I am going fishing.. h a ha 

Gary

also known as SLIP

• Like 1