Sign in to follow this  

Why is there a start position on the PW50 Off/Run/Start switch?

I just picked up a basket case PW50 that I am going to rebuild for my daughter. I am thinking of replacing the throttle assy. as it is pretty busted up. I was hoping to just put a regular throttle on it and have a separate kill switch. In the owners manual it says it must be started in the start position and then put to run. Why would they do this? Kind of retarded to me. Has anyone replaced their switch? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Greg

My understanding is that when you put it in the start position it has an effect on timing so it won't allow young riders to start the bike and take off at full throttle. A safety switch basically. If I'm wrong hopefully someone else will chime in.

That is the idea, a safety device so the bike won't start at full throttle, if the rider kicks while holding it wide open.

Ive heard its easy to bypass but have yet to do it. It idles lower on my son's in the start position compared to run. I have him start it on the stand anyway. Id like to get rid of it for a more typical kill switch. Interested to see what you come up with

91 YZ 250

05 RMZ 250

99 PW 50

Ive heard its easy to bypass but have yet to do it. It idles lower on my son's in the start position compared to run. I have him start it on the stand anyway. Id like to get rid of it for a more typical kill switch. Interested to see what you come up with

91 YZ 250

05 RMZ 250

99 PW 50

I am going to change the bars out for a more conventional bar with a 7/8" throttle and grips as mine is badly bent and the throttle and throttle cable are junk. The oil injection pump is also missing so I will just run a one piece throttle cable to the carb.  I want to use a conventional kill switch. I will try to post what I come up with when I get to it. Was hoping someone else would have experience with it. If the bike will start in the run position OK then I think I will just eliminate the start wires then break that circuit to kill the engine. I can then just start the bike on the stand.

Greg