Sign in to follow this  

Picked up the new Pig

So I picked up my new 2014 XR650 on Tuesday. The shop did a lousy job of getting it ready for me. First thing they did was scratch one of the hand guards when getting it ready. It had to be ordered and will be in next week. On the way home on the highway, both front signal lights fell off and were dangling by their wires. I was expecting something else to fall off so I stopped and checked the bike over. The back lights were also loose. Was going to tighten them up but they didn't put the tool kit in the pouch. Had to pick that up today. Now I have not driven a bike like this since the early 80's when I had a XL 500. It's taking some getting use to. I've driven a cruiser for the last 20 years and I've come to figure out that they are big time different. lol. I was going up through the gears to fast for starters. You need to keep the rpms up on these bikes from what I can tell. I also figured out that sitting higher up, I break  a lot of wind and being on a bike that is 500lb less  is something else for me to get used to. It'll come in time. I think I am going to enjoy this bike.

Very good.. :lol:  about the indicators..Never ridden a 650 but I doubt there much different to the 600..bit twitchy at

higher freeway speeds and not as stable as a large cruiser..Enjoy the new machine..No doubt the bling boys

will advise you of all sorts of additions once it's run in and out of warranty..BrianHares the expert there,,consult him

for bling information.. :censored:

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

Congrats on the new pig, wow though... what a disappointment in the stealership setup, Id be pissed!  Let the mods begin.... 

So I picked up my new 2014 XR650 on Tuesday. The shop did a lousy job of getting it ready for me. First thing they did was scratch one of the hand guards when getting it ready. It had to be ordered and will be in next week. On the way home on the highway, both front signal lights fell off and were dangling by their wires. I was expecting something else to fall off so I stopped and checked the bike over. The back lights were also loose. Was going to tighten them up but they didn't put the tool kit in the pouch. Had to pick that up today. Now I have not driven a bike like this since the early 80's when I had a XL 500. It's taking some getting use to. I've driven a cruiser for the last 20 years and I've come to figure out that they are big time different. lol. I was going up through the gears to fast for starters. You need to keep the rpms up on these bikes from what I can tell. I also figured out that sitting higher up, I break a lot of wind and being on a bike that is 500lb less is something else for me to get used to. It'll come in time. I think I am going to enjoy this bike.

Can you imagine the lights falling off? Made me laugh, in a sad way. Glad you made it home safely..once you make the necessary mods, you will really fall in love with it..

When I picked up mine there was a few things also.

there were already scratches on the bars,2 chips in the gas tank,the speedo cable wasn't routed through the fender bracket,one of the headlight cover bolts were cross threaded,the headlight was pointed at the dirt,there was black filth on all the buttons and switches,they left my owners manual sitting on some guys desk,(the dealership is 30 miles away),the hand guard wasn't installed properly, one of the turn signal wires were incorrectly routed,3 of the 4 front fender bolts were only hand tight and they forgot the two washers,

I was also told the carb has a accelerator pump on it... :naughty::rolleyes:

I would call them and tell them what happened. They damn sure better give you your setup fee back!!!!

Fixed it for you ....  I'd light those fools up if they did that to me.

When I picked up mine there was a few things also.

there were already scratches on the bars,2 chips in the gas tank,the speedo cable wasn't routed through the fender bracket,one of the headlight cover bolts were cross threaded,the headlight was pointed at the dirt,there was black filth on all the buttons and switches,they left my owners manual sitting on some guys desk,(the dealership is 30 miles away),the hand guard wasn't installed properly, one of the turn signal wires were incorrectly routed,3 of the 4 front fender bolts were only hand tight and they forgot the two washers,

I was also told the carb has a accelerator pump on it... :naughty::rolleyes:

If i was picking up a new bike and seen this, i would have got my money back and went to another honda dealership!

sweet deal on the new bike....little things can be fixed

im curious what a 14 650r really looks like????

Really?  Sorry to break the news but they stopped production of the R years ago.

Little things can be fixed. However, if im buying a new bike chips in the gas tank is not acceptable.

Really?  Sorry to break the news but they stopped production of the R years ago.

WHAT.... they dont make them......  no duh  LOL

look at the country where hes from......i know in the US when they made the 650R....i see he did say XR650  so not sure what model but they some coutries still had the bikes after the US stopped.... so not sure exactly which model they get in Newfoundland.....

Little things can be fixed. However, if im buying a new bike chips in the gas tank is not acceptable.

I probably would have reacted more If it was a street bike but I very well knew that my bike was going to be ridden off road and I figured it probably wouldn't be too long before I did more then chip the paint, (like knock over a shelf and have the "L" bracket scratch it :foul: ), the kicker? they knew the bike had chips in the tank because there was a greasy finger print on each chip where the guy was feeling it.

I would call them and tell them what happened. You may be able to get your setup fee back!!!!

well, this was back in 2007 so I doubt that is a option, although had I known it might be a option to get the setup fee back I would have pursued it.

If i was picking up a new bike and seen this, i would have got my money back and went to another honda dealership!

I had already come to the conclusion that MOST humans are a bunch of greedy lazy ignorant troglodytes and so this was pretty commonplace, I did call just to tell them that they have a incompetent worker there and the guy on the phone was willing to "make it right" but really what where they going to do? fill in the paint chips? clean the buttons and switches? there was no way I was going to let another incompetent person who obviously doesn't give a crap about customers property another chance to touch my bike.

Thanks for talking me out of ever buying from a dealership, fellas.

If I pay good money for a pristine piece of machinery, I'm going to be putting those 'beauty marks' on it myself.

I use hand-signals, so I would be ok with the signals falling off. Though I would rather get a few bucks from em first.

My bike was built by honda, tore down and rebuilt by me. I can take responsibility for almost anything that happens.

Feels good knowing you did it right the first time, not wondering who half-assed your bike assembly.

They wouldn't let me assemble my own bike from the dealer...something about liability or something...I dunno... :lol:

WHAT.... they dont make them......  no duh  LOL

look at the country where hes from......i know in the US when they made the 650R....i see he did say XR650  so not sure what model but they some coutries still had the bikes after the US stopped.... so not sure exactly which model they get in Newfoundland.....

The one I bought is a 2014 XR 650l or according to the reg, its a 2014 xr650le. I guess the "e" means electric start but I don't know for sure.

congrats.... the L is a nice bike, i had one also before i got my 650Rs