Sign in to follow this  

KX 450, best overall chasses to get hooked up?

I am curious from you guys who have owned a lot of different big bikes on how good this chasses is. I have been out of the loop for a while and rode Honda's mostly. I am curious because I always found the best big bikes were in general the ones that did not do anything stupid at high speed and some of the newer 450 bikes were getting more oriented toward Super X and becoming kinda twitchy.

I do not care what I ride but it came to my attention a few years ago that people were telling me through the grape vine that the KX was the most predictable chasses at speed. Is this correct or are there other real stable handlers like KTM or whatever.

Thanks for any help.

Out of the 450 class honda and kawi are the most predictable bikes they seem to go more where you want them to than other brands. Honda is narrower than the kawi though.

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

I am a Honda guy but the 13-14 KXF is really good. Play with fork tube height and sag to find your comfort zone and its a good all around chassis. I don't say a bike is good because I have one and I have had many!!!!!

Edited by Phil Hannah

Are you asking as far as for a hybrid conversion chassis or are you looking to get a recommended bike based off chassis handling?

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

Are you asking as far as for a hybrid conversion chassis or are you looking to get a recommended bike based off chassis handling?

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

Hybrid with a KX 500 conversion, Just curious because I heard back a few years ago the bike worked really well when dialed in and the pros could ride it faster? I was lead to believe the new Honda after 08 could be a bear to work with?

Hybrid with a KX 500 conversion, Just curious because I heard back a few years ago the bike worked really well when dialed in and the pros could ride it faster? I was lead to believe the new Honda after 08 could be a bear to work with?

That's what I was assuming. I'd go with the 12+ kx frame in that case. As its chassis and handling is incredible! Iv seen more cr500af's than I have kx500af's so I can't really comment on the kx fab work, but iv been told the kx motor is stronger. I'm planing on doing a cr conversion and I'm going to use the gen 4 or 5 crf frame, I'm undecided at the moment. It's really all in how you fab it and plain it out I would assume. Witch is why I'm doing mine myself given all the negative reports iv seen from builders plus I'm extremely OCD when it comes to my bikes.

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

Edited by dirtsurfer614

Iv seen the cr500af go for over $20,000 from service honda witch is an absolutely ridicules am mount if money to pay for a dirt bike when the same quality work could be done in a garage for what you could buy a junked out crf and a 500 motor for.

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

• Like 1

That's what I was assuming. I'd go with the 12+ kx frame in that case. As its chassis and handling is incredible! Iv seen more cr500af's than I have kx500af's so I can't really comment on the kx fab work, but iv been told the kx motor is stronger. I'm planing on doing a cr conversion and I'm going to use the gen 4 or 5 crf frame, I'm undecided at the moment. It's really all in how you fab it and plain it out I would assume. Witch is why I'm doing mine myself given all the negative reports iv seen from builders plus I'm extremely OCD when it comes to my bikes.

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

I already own a few CR 500 conversions, one is a 2003 450 CRF frame the other is a 2005 CRF 450 500 Cr conversion. I want to build a few bikes for retirement play bike. I want one to be street legal motard and one for off roading.

I would stick a Cr 500 motor in a KX frame, I do not care I just want bikes that work right. I learned a lot building several AF's and the moral of the story is what one guy likes may not work for another depending on a lot of things. I am 6 foot 5 and big so I like the torque of a 500 smoker.

The KX 500 motor is no where near as tough as a Honda 500. It runs out better on top stock but just go look at a Liger Cr 500 and you will get my drift. Modified a Honda will take a lot of power and hold together, a KX forget it. The whole motor is no where near the quality.

I have a 2004 CRF 450 that is street titled to do this just wondering if for doing my project another chasses might work better. I have plenty of tagged stock Cr 500 frames for a street legal tard but I never liked the 89-2001 Cr 500 frame handling wise here in FL in sand at all. I don't want to bother if it tards like it rides off road. THEY DO NOT STEER and have problems putting power to ground.

Thanks for the help.

I own alot of 500's.

Edited by Whipitnow
  • Like 1

I already own a few CR 500 conversions, one is a 2003 450 CRF frame the other is a 2005 CRF 450 500 Cr conversion. I want to build a few bikes for retirement play bike. I want one to be street legal motard and one for off roading.

I would stick a Cr 500 motor in a KX frame, I do not care I just want bikes that work right. I learned a lot building several AF's and the moral of the story is what one guy likes may not work for another depending on a lot of things. I am 6 foot 5 and big so I like the torque of a 500 smoker.

The KX 500 motor is no where near as tough as a Honda 500. It runs out better on top stock but just go look at a Liger Cr 500 and you will get my drift. Modified a Honda will take a lot of power and hold together, a KX forget it. The whole motor is no where near the quality.

I have a 2004 CRF 450 that is street titled to do this just wondering if for doing my project another chasses might work better. I have plenty of tagged stock Cr 500 frames for a street legal tard but I never liked the 89-2001 Cr 500 frame handling wise here in FL in sand at all. I don't want to bother if it tards like it rides off road. THEY DO NOT STEER and have problems putting power to ground.

Thanks for the help.

I own alot of 500's.

I have two friends that are bigger guys in the 6'3 - 6'5 and 270-300lb range and they both run a kx450. They say the kx is more comfortable than the other bikes were.

I got my kx because when I was testing bikes the kx IMO had more power through the entire curve (I know that doesn't matter being we are talking conversions) and handled better than the others to me.

I didn't know about the kx that was just based off what iv been told as iv never rode one, but I have been on the cr a few times and love it, but like you said they handled pretty bad.

I'm wanting to put it in the gen 4 or 5 because they are narrower than the others and handle really well. Not quite as good as the kx IMO, but they have more of that 2stroke feel like you can throw then around easy.

09 yfz450r

09 kx450f

Edited by dirtsurfer614

I learned alot building these bikes, what works for a clyde is different than what works for a normal moto god. I look at all the pros and how tiny most of them are and it tells me I am the wrong stature to go fast doing this. The people who do conversions at MPS told me the newer KX was the best handling 500 with a big motor and said the old CRF 450 2002 - 2004 was also but Ohio where they are based out of was sand so that makes sense because the slower the handling the better a bike works in sand and those chasses are more neutral. I read so many bad reviews on MPS so I just wonder, my 2003 CRF 450 updates with a CR 500 motor is real comfortable for a tall rider but the machine likes to stand up in corners and the frame is stiff as a board,I do not like that at all. I started experimenting looking for the right fit for me.

I have a 2005 GEN 4 CRF 500 450 conversion I built and rode it one time and realized the new bikes are going for smaller riders who ride MOTO X. I starting building all kinds of 500 conversions because I could not find a good replacement for my 88 Cr 500. My state is fine sand and the newer design 1989-2001 Cr 500 did not work well here at all so I went on a quest to find a modern chasses with big power and got a little frustrated because I spent a lot of time building these bikes. I built the 2005 CRF Cr 500 in 2004 and the 2003 in 2002 and I was a pioneer in this. It took a lot of time to do this, I did not like the Aluma tubs in some ways so well so I started building RM conversions but lost interest because my favorite riding areas were being shut down and the ones left turned into riding prisons.

I went out and bought some street bikes and went the road route for something different and said to myself let other people sort it out and I will back once I get tired of road bike cruising. So I am back now looking at new machines, a Supermoto tagged with a good stable sliding chasses with a Liger kit would be the bomb.

I should take the time to build one but need the right chasses, do not be fooled all these bikes are different and handle differently, when you are dealing with more HP you need the right chasses, these guys take these 500 engines and put them in 125 style frames and I do not get it. The 2002- 2004 CRF 450 was designed for out door and the 2002 -  Cr 250 was designed to do both out door and Super X. Most important thing when building a 500 is that it woks good in a straight line and puts the power to the ground, 500's work best doing the point and shoot.

The newer bikes can be real sketchy at speed so just saying if you ride alot of sand be careful what you build, the Gen 4 frames turns out real nice and you can put the 09 and later swing arm on it to make it longer so you can get on the gas harder and earlier without worrying about looping over and get the stability problem solved on the Gen 4's I had with my 05. When I built my 05 in 04 there was no option to mount a longer swingarm until 09. I bought a 10 450 arm several years ago and it will mount to the CR 250 and the 450's as well as the CRF 250's.   Most people do not know this but I do because I am a white Fred Sanford the junk collector!

Thanks for the help.