Sign in to follow this  

1990 cr125 sputters at top rpm

Hey guys, new to the forum as of ten mins ago, this winter wile on layoff i decided to restore a 1990 cr125 for fun. ( my back room became my garage for the winter lol)  Got it in got awful shape and everything needed to be rebuilt in the engine. she's now back together and runs fairly decent ideal - mid feels like a 125 but when u get up to the point where you should be on the pipe it just sputters. im not new to engines but when it comes to carbs i just can't seem to get it rite. lastly the engine is bored 20 over not sure why its rich on top end. really need help on this one guys I'm at a total lost. thanks  

okay i found out that it had a 158 high end jet in it i put the oem 168 back in it but it wouldn't even start after some digging around i found that the flywheel i had rigid in it had come loose. my current problem is i have a 1995 cr125 crank in a 1990 case my flywheel won't seem to fit as the shim is to big. idk where to go from here is there a way i can shim the goofy thing. I'm pretty sure they wheel i have is oem. would really like some help with this problem. 

wow there are like 5 different crank shaft numbers for the 1990 year engine.....some were one year options and others list fitting from 1990- to 1996

Edited by Blackwoodz

well last night i used a wrist pin clip to act as a spacer was able to balance it perfect and its no longer rubbing on the stator bracket. the first time i used copper to shim it but it just squashed it down and came loose. the only reason i bought the newer crank was because i the hot rod one that was in it was in pretty rough shape, was under the impression that all the cranks were the same 90-96. obviously i was wrong. lol but its back up and running so ill just have to se how long this macgyver crap hold up, i hope the hardened steel last better.