Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR600R Supermoto conversion

Hey guys. So recently I bought a 85 Honda XR600r and wanted to convert it into a SuperMoto. This is my first conversion so, any information and constructive criticism will be helpful. A little history of the bike, the previous owner used it every so often for trips to Southern California, had it for 8 year and kept it at his Motorcycle shop. Tons of classic cafés and old British bike. Bottom line, I could tell this guy and his bike were legit. So for 700$ it was a deal. The first picture is of the bike from day one. That evening I took the bike apart and cleaned her from top to bottom. I changed out the air filter and replaced the oil/filter. While I had it apart I put primer on the tank and plastics. I also chopped the front fender to give it a more sleek look. Why not. Next day I painted her black and now I'm stuck on getting tires. Do I need new rims? A new swing arm for a fatter tire in the back? New forks and a wider triple tree? Any help will come in handy. Thanks for reading.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You've already got a 17" rear wheel. it's wide enough for a 130 series tire which is perfect size for the weight and power of these bikes.  Just put a street tire 100 or 110 on front and back and see if you love it. If you do then buy a smaller front wheel for the street. I had a 19" front wheel built for my 85 XR350.  17" front looks too tiny (IMO) on long suspension dirt bikes. 

Can get rear disk brake with swingarm swap, but takes a lot of parts ($). 

Forks are weak point but can be ok with gold valves, springs, oil, tuning.  Later cartridge 600 forks would be easy and cheap. 
I've got a 650L swingarm and all the parts including rear wheel if you want to go crazy. I was, then caught myself.  LOL 

WP_000132_zps36b2a75f.jpgWP_000133_zpse4a2bc46.jpgWP_000005_zps2f9d7b9b.jpg