Sign in to follow this  

03 KX125 First actual ride and inital impressions

Took the bike out for the first time today. Had a time and a half on it, it had WAY more power than i could have expected it to have. Decided to pick up some ATF and throw it in to see what everyone was talking about and I thought it felt pretty good! clutch pull felt lighter than normal which I like and shifting was SUPER easy. Just took the bike up and down the road and down a trail right quick. BIKE WAS IDLING WHILST I BLIPPED THE THROTTLE EVERY 5-10 SECONDS AFTER APPROX. 40 SECONDS OF IDLING UNTIL THE PIPE WAS HOT TO THE TOUCH.  So I'd appreciate it if you didnt watch the beginning of the video and tell me I'm going to cold seize my bike. My old RM125 did this no matter how long you warmed it up for. So far love the bike, in every way possible it puts my old RM to shame and make it seem like a Gio. Hopefully have more videos after this easter weekend!

Doesn't sound like it ever really cleans out.  If you like it now you'll love it with proper jetting.  I can't even ride a 125 that isn't crisp.  That rich mixture burbling is unbearable.

Yeah, I need to rebuild the carb because I noticed today when I put it away there was gas on the stand and it was coming from the carb, looks like its coming from the o-ring on the float bowl, so just another excuse to re-jet it while the carbs apart. I was going to wait for the summer to see how it is then to re-jet it, because ATM the temp is around 2-8 celsius, and in the summer its 20-35 celsius, but looks like I'll just re-jet it now. Might as well order the PC Works pipe I've been looking at so I dont have to jet it again for the new pipe *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* Also, today when I was riding I lost a rad guard due to the bolt rattling loose from the vibrations. So I'll be ordering the pipe, rad guards, rear pads, front lever, right side cylinder/PV cover, carb rebuild kit and I'll be running PC's recommended jetting settings for the bike. 

Please jet that bike...

And don't wait for summer temps to come as it will only be worse with the less dense hot air.

Edited by Kroynon

I'm not sure if that is jetting. I know you said it was warm when you started riding, but my CR125 does this exact same thing when it starts up, even when the pipe is hot. It started doing this after the first rebuild when the stock cast piston was replaced with a forged Wiseco piston. I beleive it does this since it is a different production method, so the metal has different heat properties. Anyways, after initial easy riding with little throttle for about 2 miles, it cleans up and top end is crisp. I would try warming it like you do now, then just riding easy for like 10 min or so then see if it gets on the pipe.

No, thats jetting.  Two strokes often load up on fuel during the warmup cycle.  I usually keep it off the pipe until the radiators feel noticeably warm.  At that point it shouldn't take more than a second or two at WOT to clean itself up and run crisply even at low throttle openings.  It sounds like this thing only really runs at WOT.

As bad as it is I'd expect to drop the main a step or two, the needle at least one notch and possibly the pilot jet.  Too lean is obviously bad but when its just right its great.