Sign in to follow this  

Powder coating wheels

I don't think they use clear just a single stage powder baked on. unless its a Candy or Metallic which are two stage. Rims and Hubs are usually Anodized.

Soon I am going to do some PC on my wheels , dose any body know if the manufacture uses some sort of clear coat on them ? I have asked around and I am getting mixed opions

shouldn't matter your powder coat guy will bead blast and clean before PC.
  • Like 1

I would not powder coat the rims cause the heat will weaken the metal and you will be rollin on cheese wheels

I would not powder coat the rims cause the heat will weaken the metal and you will be rollin on cheese wheels

The heat will not weaken the wheels. This kind of BS is almost as good as people saying you need to heat cycle a new motor. You understand that heat required to anneal or heat treat metals is much higher than you can reach with a powder coat oven right? I swear the Internet is full of geniuses.

• Like 7

You will need to bead blast or sand blast them before you coat them and no you won't damage them

The powder coating process won't harm the wheels in any way.

You'll be sorry you did it later though, after a few rides and the powdercoat is all chipped up and scratched and the wheels look terrible you'll be saying "What was I thinking?"...

• Like 1

I've done powder coated wheels before and they surprisingly held up very well, better than you think. Paint on the other hand, that's a no go

I've done powder coated wheels before and they surprisingly held up very well, better than you think. Paint on the other hand, that's a no go

I'm surprised it would hold up, because when you get right down to it, powder coat is really nothing more than paint that's baked on.

I know that those black wheels on KTMs that everyone loves so much sure look like hell after a few rides and a couple of tire changes.

Edited by Chokey

Powder coat really does hold up well on dirt bikes and looks good for a long time but I agree I've done it a few times and wouldn't do it again it just wasn't really worth it to me to break it down and relace the wheels for in my opinion really no benifit.

I'm surprised it would hold up, because when you get right down to it, powder coat is really nothing more than paint that's baked on.

I know that those black wheels on KTMs that everyone loves so much sure look like hell after a few rides and a couple of tire changes.

Yes it is a paint, but a tough ass paint. All powder coatings are different, some are tougher than others. I've had many things powder coated including a few sets of wheels. It all comes down to how good of a job the powder coater does. I had a roll cage for a rzr I built powder coated and that shit scratched right off. I had the frame and rims done on my road race bike and you couldn't chip that stuff with a hammer!

Sorry guys my PDA was wigging out and I could not log on and nothing was going my way lol

Any way I am in love with the way the newer kx bikes look with the black hoops and spokes, but I don't want to drop $500 to make it look cool so I am going to try the cheep path .

I do not have a bead blaster but I am working on it and I think I can get better adhesion on a rough surface.

Thank you for your advice you guys are great

Just did all this your attempting to do..... Ordered new spokes and broke down my stock wheels.... Had the hubs powder coated red and my hoops powdercoated black.... Shits hard as nails!! Spooned on two new tires, not a scratch on em..!..! The coating is hard and thick..... I have three hard days of MX practice on em and they held up to perfection! They clean up very well.... All in all it's was a lot cheaper to bling the wheels out with powdercoat then to buy some expensive ass hubs and let's say some excel hoops.......powdercoat guy charged me $95 for all of it and the moose spoke set ran me $50 for the rear and $50 for the front.... Glad to hear you got a truing stand since that for me is always the most challenging part of wheel building, but if you have the right tools it's a piece of cake! Good luck! Post some pics when your done... Here's some before and after pics of my 09 Fo- fiddy and the wheels....ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472111.741950.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472140.991254.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472168.974561.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472191.524524.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472234.574543.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472253.057751.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472285.057861.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472298.007740.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472308.991158.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472341.091197.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472353.407791.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472375.057712.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472393.524619.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472429.574752.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472464.541113.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472531.141523.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472542.141449.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472552.907995.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398472568.141586.jpg