Sign in to follow this  

Tire size question: wider or stock?

Hello! 2 questions for your opinions regarding best tire size:

Putting tires on my yz450f for 50/50 street/fields. Stock rims. Getting a kenda k270 for the front. Stock front size is 3.00X21, is there any reason i should get a wider front such as 3.25x21? It's an option

Also.. stock rear is 110/90-19, is there any reason i should go bigger on rear? Like 120? Thinking of a shinko 705...

Thank you.

-Victor

A wider front is also taller. 120 on the rear isn't necessary, and can slow down steering. I would stick with stock sizing

I agree, stay stock.

More tire=more weight.

I put a 150 Terra Flex on the rear of my old DRZ and it pushed the front in corners and tried to turn the bike on jumps.

I am wondering the same about putting tires on a DS-converted '02 XR250R. Stock tires are 80/100-21 and 100/100-18. I like the Kenda K270s too and was considering 3.25-21 and 4.50-18, hoping for a little more stability on pavement, riding @ 50/50 with maybe 10% slippery woods trails. I thought with a somewhat equivalent increase in width of both tires there would be no ill effects.

Can someone please explain why this is or isn't a good idea? The additional weight and height aren't an issue for me. I'm riding fire roads, gravel and twisty, mountain pavement, no highway.

cheers!