Sign in to follow this  

Rmz 450 fly wheel issues 2008...

The other day I wanted to check my valve clearance. So I was setting up TDC, when I was looking for the timing mark on the flywheel I noticed what looked like a small spring. So I opened up the case to see what it was. Turns out the inside of my fly wheel was wearing and all particles were picked up by the magnet. The stator looks fine and tight. I put I dial on the crank and it is straight. I'm not sure how this would of happened. Had anyone seen a fly wheel break down before? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397821369.859383.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397821391.258489.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397821407.192575.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397821423.208571.jpg

Never seen that happen before... I would double and triple check your crank. My guess would be main bearings are in need of replacement. Really the only possibility given that everything else was tight.

Crooksy,

Mine did the same thing on my first ride after buying it used. Mine stalled out and would not restart. Did every check FI wise and all was good, so I checked the stator and found it totally torn apart worse than yours. Enough that it was grounding it self out with debris between the two. Figured something came from some where and got in between the fly wheel and windings and tore it up.

After a full tear down I only found chunks and shavings from the flywheel and windings under that cover. No other parts of the motor were contaminated and no other parts were worn or chunked.

My crank bearings were on the way out but not junk yet. Not sure on the clearance between the two but must be not that much that a little slop was enough to do it in.

I replaced fly wheel, windings, bearings, crank, piston, cylinder for good measure, oil pumps, and timing chain.

Good luck,

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. I was wondering if any metal would go else wear.