Sign in to follow this  

Tires for desert trail riding?

I recently bought an '82 Honda XR200R which came with these tires:

Dunlop Sports D739FA 80/100 x 21

Spare front: Sedona MX887IT

Cheng Shin C-755 4.60 x 18 6-ply

All of them are worn but have quite a bit of life left.

My riding is:

- No pavement

- 40% desert hardpack dirt

- 30% gravel and cobble roads

- 20% sand

- 10% bedrock

I am going solo way out in the backcountry so handling safety is important with tread wear life less so. Also resistance to damage is important.

Are these reasonable tires until they wear out? What would be good replacements? 

Thank you.

The best all around tire I've found is the Bridgestone 403/404 combo.

We ran Maxxis IT tires in the SoCal desert, they lasted a long time but were terrible for traction.  My buddy gave me an M12 Michelin and I was just blown away how well it hooked up.  There were hills I could climb that I knew FOR SURE I never could have climbed with the Maxxis tires.  I think Maxxis has stepped up their tire quality though.

Check out the Kenda tires, do some searching and see what Kenda recommends for your terrain.  I've also heard very good things about them.

I like the rubber ones.

Anyways, I ride some terrain similar to yours and I ride Michelin Starcross tires.

They hook up pretty well and have lasted me last season and I'm expecting this season til they need to be changed.

I run those CC 755's on my KDX 200....love those tires! They hook up well and don't start to throw knobs off until the tire is well worn out. An aggressive rider will shred the tire in 50-100 hrs....I'm not terribly aggressive, I use finesse more often than not and the tires last me for YEARS! I have rode on nasty, sharp dessert rocks, hill climbing and even use them in my local hard, but wet, trail system. First one was good for 2 years. I got a little faster and a little more aggressive lately and have about 6 months on my current tire and it's showing some wear. I must admit though, they wear the "top" off pretty quick and then settle a while before wearing fast again. I still have one more hanging on the wall of my garage!

Now, I'm going to ride on a new set of Washougals tomorrow, I'll tell you how much I like the 755 after that.

I like the Maxxis IT.  When new the traction is not as good as the Bridgestone 403/404 or the Dunlop MX51 but those tires wear quickly and any advantage over the Maxxis is gone after a couple rides then the Maxxis is much more durable and lasts longer.  They perform well until really worn out.

I have IRC VE-33 rear on both XR 200 and XR 400. Both work great for all around riding. I've had that rear on my XR 400 for over two years!

I know for the 200 the IRC comes highly recommended for that bike. Plenty of guys on this forum that ride the 200 swear by that tire.

Side note: the little 200 sure is a blast to ride!

I run those CC 755's on my KDX 200....love those tires! They hook up well and don't start to throw knobs off until the tire is well worn out. An aggressive rider will shred the tire in 50-100 hrs....I'm not terribly aggressive, I use finesse more often than not and the tires last me for YEARS! I have rode on nasty, sharp dessert rocks, hill climbing and even use them in my local hard, but wet, trail system. First one was good for 2 years. I got a little faster and a little more aggressive lately and have about 6 months on my current tire and it's showing some wear. I must admit though, they wear the "top" off pretty quick and then settle a while before wearing fast again. I still have one more hanging on the wall of my garage!

Now, I'm going to ride on a new set of Washougals tomorrow, I'll tell you how much I like the 755 after that.

So I rode the new Washougals today.....It was pouring rain, wet and deep puddles all over the hard packed trails. Took a few mile to get the air pressure right, but i have to say.........the hook up on the rear was AMAZING, no real tire spin, roosting was minimized considerably, even in the "river rock" gardens all over the place. My wife rode with hers 2 weeks ago in the E. WA desert terrain and loved them out there....The front was about the same as most tires in this terrain, strong in some areas, weak in others. The tires did really good in those 5" ball rocks that my Chen Shins sucked in (the CC's pushed through) on the wet root beds the front did good, but the looser, softer dirt, they EXCELLED in. The CC where just "meh". The CC rear tire doesn't hook as well, causing lots of roost and rock missiles, but the dessert...soft loamy dirt..the Chen Chings excell in. I love my 755's and still have one new one left, but the Washougal will forever be on my "buy" list from now on. 

Now, in summary, not having ridden the Kenda in the Desert terrain, I would roll the CC's, even half worn, in the desert terrain w/o a second thought.

I recently bought these Artrax from Motosport.com 90 bucks for the set delivered . I've just mounted them and personally nothing to say good or bad but they were easy to mount, look great and have excellent reviews . Maybe worth checking out if you want to try something different and save some cash. 

IMG_2155.JPG