Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on a silencer/spark arrestor setup for 2014 YZ250F

I need an arrested silencer setup to ride trails in Michigan...I was thinking about pro moto spark arrestor cap for the stock can, but also considering an aftermarket can.  My buddy just picked up an FMF for his 14 YZ250f, but I dont like how long it is compared to stock, I would like to stick with something similar size to the stock can.  Anyone running a new can, and if so can you post a pic and how you like it?

I need an arrested silencer setup to ride trails in Michigan...I was thinking about pro moto spark arrestor cap for the stock can, but also considering an aftermarket can. My buddy just picked up an FMF for his 14 YZ250f, but I dont like how long it is compared to stock, I would like to stick with something similar size to the stock can. Anyone running a new can, and if so can you post a pic and how you like it?

I just purchased a 2014. I am going with the setup you are talking about. I have used the same setup on my 08. I was really happy with it and its much cheaper than buying an aftermarket pipe.

Same here...pmb....stock is tough to beat on this machine.

why do you say its better?  Im just currious....$144 for a PMB, or $250 range for a full silencer FMF.

why do i say stock exhaust is tough to beat? because i have read some exhaust shootouts for this bike. I would personally consider the Dubach but all the rest either rob bottom end or weigh more, or both!

Here's what I made, ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398224017.336783.jpg I'm going to silver lakes shortly

Sorry for all the replies, my phone went whacko while trying to post. My apologies

Edited by jirish17

that is an awesome idea....how did you do that?  Have you tried it yet?  Im totally down for doing this.

but that does not have the USFS stamp of approval needed in many areas

That is very true, that's the gamble I'm going to take because I can't justify spending $130 for wire mesh. I know many places just probe it. Out of curiosity I held the mesh over the open flame for 10 minutes and there were no Ill effects. Just a little discoloration.

All I did is I went to a local hardware store bought a 3 pack of mesh sink strainers as seen in the attached pic, cut the metal ring off, trim down to size. Then bought a worm/hose clamp, I just brought the end cap off the exhaust with me to the store so I had a better idea of what size I needed. 3/16 drill bit to drill the rivets out, and I had a friend with a rivet gun and it's 3/16 rivets to put back together.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398270059.735076.jpg

Edited by jirish17

That is very true, that's the gamble I'm going to take because I can't justify spending $130 for wire mesh. I know many places just probe it. Out of curiosity I held the mesh over the open flame for 10 minutes and there were no Ill effects. Just a little discoloration.

All I did is I went to a local hardware store bought a 3 pack of mesh sink strainers as seen in the attached pic, cut the metal ring off, trim down to size. Then bought a worm/hose clamp, I just brought the end cap off the exhaust with me to the store so I had a better idea of what size I needed. 3/16 drill bit to drill the rivets out, and I had a friend with a rivet gun and it's 3/16 rivets to put back together.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398270059.735076.jpg

I can't get away with doing that here. They will check if they stop you and its around a $500.00 fine last I checked. $150.00 is cheap compared to the alternative.

my PMB endcap is on the way.

please post pictures once you get it.