Sign in to follow this  

14 crf450 stick with oem air filter?

I ordered a twin air as a back up, and comparing the oem to the twin, the oem seems like a much better quality filter with the rubber ring that connects to the screen assembly. Anyone running the twin air, does it seal well enough around the cage screen assembly?

Thanks.

Thanks guys, got it installed, only i do notice the excess filter flange takes up a decent amount of space past the filter cage clamping area compared to stock. I doubt it will change airflow significantly.  btw any drawbacks to removing the cage screen... (4t newb)

Edited by pieplatesnductape

twin air in over 10 bikes. Powerflow kit is good on the 4 strokes, gets rid of the stock restrictive cage.

The stock filter and cage are stupidly overengineered. Honda has a tendency to do that (see twin exhausts). Replacing the stock filter and cage with one of the "powerflow" setups (NoToil, TwinAir) will give you better airflow, easier cleaning and cheaper filters. I use the NoToil setup with 3 extra filters so I can throw a couple in the washing machine together and always have a couple clean ones ready to go. They're easy to install, work great and the inner boot is always white glove test clean (and I don't use rim grease). Ditch the stock crap and don't look back.

• Like 1

We do all the same as -1 no rim grease and wash up to 10 at a time in the washer when the wife's away. 

I think dyno tests showed there was no need to pull the filter screen out. Or cut bro holes in the air box.

I'd like to take mine out to save a tiny bit of weight. But.......

I have seen an aquantances ktm catch fire.

I'd rather not watch my bike burn in the middle of the desert while I throw dirt at it.

And the oem filter is a waaaayyy better fit than the others.