Sign in to follow this  

Shell Rotella T - Engine Side?

Just wondering what your guys thoughts or opinions are on running Shell Rotella T on the engine side of my '10 250R. I usually run BelRay 15w50 thumper but I just got my motor rebuilt and from what I understand I should avoid the synthetic stuff (even though thumper is a blend) until at least after break in. 

I only run shell rottela T 15-40 in my bikes for the last 2 years havent had any motor failures since ive been using it 

• Like 1

used it in my last 5 bikes, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, clutch and engine side. Anywhere the bike needs oil I used rotella triple protection 15w40 70$ for 5gal pale at walmart. evenles. used it in my chain cases on snowmobiles

Edited by adam8781

I'm about to try it in my crf250, I've used it in my gsxr 600 , it has a wet clutch and revs to the moon, and I liked to hit the limiter often. I used rotella t for 15k miles plus with excellent results.

used it in my last 5 bikes, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, clutch and engine side. Anywhere the bike needs oil I used rotella triple protection 15w40 70$ for 5gal pale at walmart. evenles. used it in my chain cases on snowmobiles

Wish I could buy oil that cheap, we paying $15-25 a litre for good oil in Australia. Last time I bought Motorex 10w60 full synthetic it cost me $100 for 4L, 5gal is 19 litres.

Just bought a gallon of rotella t for 13.99 on sale, the full synthetic was 22.99 a gallon.

the t6 synthetic works great as well, but since we change our oil so often i dont use it much, Ive noticed zero extra wear from using the triple protection vs other synthetic motor cycle oils.

I started running the Rotella t6 synthetic in my '05 crf250r motor after breaking in a new top end. I put it in the transmission too. I rode it hard on motocross tracks for 5 hours and then drained the oil, it's the same color and viscosity as new. I've never had the previous oil (castrol power rs racing synthetic and Honda GN4) come out looking so new after 5 hours before. The bike seems to run great, and it shifts easier than it did with the previous trans oil honda hp 80/85w. This is high quality stuff for $23 at the Wal-Mart in San Diego. I would definitely recommend this oil.

I'm also interested in trying the rotella in my son's crf 250. Since he is primarily racing I have heard to change after every race. (Race day I'm assuming). But that seems a little over kill to me... we're talking 2 motos, maybe 6-8 min a piece. 15-20 min of practice, and maybe another 20-30 min putting around the pits all day. So maybe an hour's worth on 1 oil change? Do alot of ppl do this??

And is there really any benefit to running synthetic if your changing oil that often? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking care of the motor but that seems like changing oil in your car once a month. .

And is there really any benefit to running synthetic if your changing oil that often? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking care of the motor but that seems like changing oil in your car once a month. .

Not really, a synthetic will last longer, but the advantage of running a diesel oil like Rottella T is that it has the latest commercial API spec, like CJ-4, which has more of the additives  thats good for our engines, then most auto and M/C specific oils. I believe changing the oil often is one of the best things you can do to have these engines last, but i go 2 race days.

Edited by bucket list

I figured 2 race days or one practice day... probably still only puts in 2-3 hrs total on open track day...

Every 2 hours is pretty often, I go every 5, but for less than $5 per oil change for t6 it couldn't hurt

Is T6 the synthetic and T5 the regular?

The Rotella T5 is a blend, a 0w40, meant for really cold temps, wouldn't use that. The Rotella T is the regular 15W40, a good oil and inexpensive, so changing it frequently is no biggy. I even strech my oil a little further by using the 2 race day oil from the engine, in the trans. for the next 2 race days, but don't tell anyone.

The  T6 is the synthetic, which is a great oil, just about 50% more $  But yea, when your changing it this often, not really needed.