Sign in to follow this  

Bunch of upgrades for my 06' CRF450R

Hey guys I'm new here. I bought a used 06' CRF450R. It's just had a top/bottom end overhaul right before I got it. The rest of the bike needed some help though. I bought new Michelin AC10 DOT legal tires, Baja Designs dual sport light kit, Trail Tech stator/flywheel and speedo/tach, Boyesen waterpump, Renthal o-ring chain, Enduro Engineering Evolution debris deflectors, lubricants, filters, tools, etc.

Things left on the list are a larger fuel tank, ICW radiators and oil cooler setup, brake upgrades, steering stabalizer, etc. I was more worried about getting it street legal first. I'm not going to be riding it all over on the roads, but just farting around the Troy/Birmingham, MI area. I'm also going to be taking it up to northern Michigan, and in the Algoquin park area in Ontario, Canda for trail riding.

Here are some pictures of it right now. I'm getting it ready for all the parts to arrive next week.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

• Like 1

My brain has a hard time imagining a crf450 anywhere its not shredding berms. None the less nice bike keep it comin.

I was kind of weary about it at first, but I found a lot of people who turned them into moto's and figured it should work well enough for my intentions.

Edited by EndGame

sweet looking bike, im in ontario

Thanks! My wife is from Waterdown, ON and we go up to her grandparents cottage outside Kearney, ON.

Edited by EndGame

I got a bit excited and ended up here, haha. I'm replacing all the bearings in it now too, ordered a Jagg oil cooler as well to get some more oil in her, and a high pressure radiator cap.

FYI, those wheel bearings are the blind type... So, I had to order a special puller for that. $40 for one on ebay, not to shabby.

IMG_0771.JPG

Edited by EndGame

My brain has a hard time imagining a crf450 anywhere its not shredding berms. None the less nice bike keep it comin.

if you have ever ridden a 450 with 17" slicks and a 320mm front brake rotor, in canyon roads, on a gokart track, or from your house to your buddies, in parkinglots, schools, anywhere you can find little jumps and gaps, and stairs to ride down.  

in the canyons, sport bikes are smoked, the tighter the better its like drifting the smoothest double track you have ever ridden. 1 finger on the front brake will get you on the front wheel instantly

fooling around on the streets is a blast. theres a gas station around the corner with a sloped curb i use as a kicker to launch over a planter and into the adjacent parkinglot lol!!!!

its a blast!

if you have ever ridden a 450 with 17" slicks and a 320mm front brake rotor, in canyon roads, on a gokart track, or from your house to your buddies, in parkinglots, schools, anywhere you can find little jumps and gaps, and stairs to ride down.  

you would undertand.

in the canyons, sport bikes are smoked, the tighter the better its like drifting the smoothest double track you have ever ridden. 1 finger on the front brake will get you on the front wheel instantly

fooling around on the streets is a blast. theres a gas station around the corner with a sloped curb i use as a kicker to launch over a planter and into the adjacent parkinglot lol!!!!

its a blast!

The Baja Designs dual sport light kit is here! It has a key switch with it so now I don't have to worry about someone just kick-starting it and taking off with it. Also, the new chain, tire changing tools and tire lube came.

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

I got a bunch more parts yesterday. I installed the stator in the cover, but couldn't bolt it all up because I ripped the new gasket :facepalm: . The gasket was vacuum sealed in the worst packaging they could've stuck it in. Just as I was thinking I was going to damage that gasket trying to get it out... I did. I wasn't really impressed with it's quality once I got it out, and just ended up tossing it in the garbage. Then I went upstairs and ordered a new OEM Honda gasket(should've done that in the first place). I also found a like new IMS 3.2 gallon tank for $150 on Ebay, so I snatched that sucker up. I'm really debating on buying a new wheel set for it too.

photo1.jpg

Edited by EndGame

More parts again today! The mounts for the mirrors came and I put them on. Mounted the new tire to the rear. I'm waiting on the new tube for the front, but I took the old tire off to have her ready. Installed one of the new Race-Driven brake rotors on the rear wheel too. The Boyesen water pump came and is now installed. That thing looks sharp, and will hopefully help keep her a bit cooler. Last thing I did today was drill the holes for the rear tail light assembly. It was a pretty straight forward install. Lastly, I'm set on getting new wheels in two months. These ones will just have to get me buy for the time being...

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

Now both Michelin AC10 tires are mounted on the rims and I put the new Race-Driven brake rotors on. Got the new Renthal 14T front sprocket on, and installed the new Tusk high pressure radiator cap. Now I'm all out of parts for today. Should have more tomorrow and Mon./Tues...

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Edited by EndGame

If you decide to get a oversized from rotor, the tusk one is really a great buy. I thought my brakes were fine until I put on the oversized rotor. I see the light!

If you decide to get a oversized from rotor, the tusk one is really a great buy. I thought my brakes were fine until I put on the oversized rotor. I see the light!

Thanks for the heads up! I read a lot of good reviews about these Race-Driven ones. I'll have to see how they perform. They also came with matching pads...

• Like 1

Yeah, it's going to be fully street legal. Only once or twice a year I'll be up in the Muskoka area. I'm hoping to hit up the "park to park" trail that runs from the Algonquin Provincial Park to Parry Sound. Otherwise I'll be messing around the Kearney area. My in-laws live in Waterdown, but I don't think I'd be riding it around there much...

Edited by EndGame