Sign in to follow this  

Stripped out oil drain plug 2005 450 exc

I recently purchased this bike, at the time, it had a carbon fiber skid plate on it. This morning ,I went to change the oil for the first time. After removing the skid plate , I found out the guy before had totally rounded out the head of the magnetic drain plug. I guess I'm asking just how #%$!d am I? has anyone come across this issue on the RFS motor? How did they fix it? Will I have to use an extractor bit. I'm asking for advice from all the "stripped bolt gurus" out there, thanks. She needs a "blood transfusion " and she'll be ready to rip.

Man that sucks, my buddy's 04 EXC had the same issue. We used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel and made a straight slot, used a large flat tip screw driver and a wrench to assist turning the screwdriver.

I have had very good luck with a set of snap on bolt extractors / easy outs, any good quality extractors will work. Trick is to use the proper sized drill bit for that extractor. Before extracting the drain plug, try heating the case around the plug.

You'll get it out, good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna take another whack at it tonight when I get home armed with new tools and fresh ideas lol.

If you're really really careful, sometimes you can get bolts with tripped heads to turn with hammer and chisel or punch.  You can also try to flatten sides of the head with a file and then get a box wrench on it.  Good luck!

Try hammering a torx socket in the stripped out Allen socket. If you have to drill it buy a set of reverse drill bits and easy outs. Good luck!

However you get it out, don't hit that area too hard as cases have been cracked doing that. And be very careful with easy outs if its tight. As you screw it into the bolt, its pushing out on the cases. Again, it can crack the cases.