Anybody else here who cant ride wheelies?

Im thinking maybe its because i'm a 270 pound fellar who rides a 99yz400, thats geared down 2 teeth, but I just cant make the wheelie thing happen. Its not that i cant get the front wheel up, thats no issue at all. just cant keep it up for more than a few seconds. just me?

Nope, not just you. I feel like I'm a pretty good rider, plenty of bike and throttle control but I suck at wheelies. When it happens on an MX track, or in the woods it feels good but when I'm just messing around and try to wheelie it doesn't last long. I can't find the balance point, or the bike starts leaning to one side or the other and I abort and let the wheel come back down. I've never really practiced them, just hope that they come naturally, for me they don't.

• Like 3

me too... i can wheelie my mtb as long as i like... different story on the dirt bike... :(

• Like 5

Practice practice practice. And go slow. I used to feel the same way. Just try like 2nd gear and bring the front end up. Then set it down. Then up and try to keep it up longer. Play with the throttle and your body position. It will come if you put in the effort. Always a good idea to keep a foot around that back brake pedal too.

• Like 5

I can wheelie,but I choose not to,unless it happens on its own while I ride.When I was 20 I used to ride wheelies all the time.I could shift up and ride for miles on the road.

I don't know if I've been to emergency room to many times or what,but they just don't seem like a good idea any more.

Maybe a little one here or there for spectators at a race,but I try to be real careful so I don't give them more of a show than I want.They're really only good for showing off and that's when things tend to south for me. :jawdrop: 

• Like 11

Sled, no problem.

On the bike... when it happens, it's usually unintentional and I don't want the front wheel in the air for long. 

FILE0211_-L.jpg

Probably just because i'm more comfortable on snow, but there's a LOT of terrain that I have no problems with on the sled that freak me the f :censored: out on the bike.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, lofting the front wheel "just 'cause" is very uncomfortable...for me. When doing so, to clear an obstacle...I generally don't give it much thought.

Since I was a kid, I would always have dreams that I could wheelie all day long, for miles and miles and go around turns and everything.  In the real world I'm happy if I go 20 feet on the mountain bike, and on the dirt bike I'm still learning the basics so......

But some may think it is one of the basics :cry:

• Like 6

Since I was a kid, I would always have dreams that I could wheelie all day long, for miles and miles and go around turns and everything.  

Same! I can stand the bike up -for a while- but not the endless balance wheelie.

I have met plenty of total morons who can balance wheelie all day long which is frustrating.

Practice hasn't helped. In fact, in the dunes, on a standard sport quad with paddles a wheelie is the easiest thing imaginable. If you overcook it and go over backward it just stands up on the grab handle with no stress or strain. Even with this, no balance wheelies for me and not for lack of trying.

Gear selection is the key. 1st and 2nd gear the throttle is way to twitchy. I find that 3rd gear is best. A slight uphill grade will make it even easier. Either crack the throttle open or pop the clutch a bit. Sit in a central position with foot over brake pedal. Once you practice you will start to feel the perfect balance point. Im no pro either but being able to wheelie when i need to has helped me so much on the tracks and trails. It can save you from some bad crashes and hard obsticles to get over. I think its just as important of a skill as body postion, throttle control, etc. G

• Like 7

I did wind up getting a pitbike, which helped alot. In the neighborhood I can ride 90 degree turns, and go maybe 6 blocks or so dangling my feet. I've found it helps tremendously however I've found as soon as I stop practicing my skills diminish and it's almost like I've gotta re learn it. Everybike is different also, seat time on one particular bike makes a difference for me. My end results are wheeling is an art not something to learn and ur done and that I gave up trying so hard. I set out a goal a year or two ago to once and for all learn balance point wheeling.

• Like 1

I suck at wheelies.  Off road and coming up to large obstacles that require wheelies, i have no problems at all.  I wheelie over stuff all the time.  Going up a hill, carry the occasional wheelie.  Not really intentional but if it happens, i go with it.  On flat ground, I can pick the wheel up but am afraid of going over backwards so I am limited to short power wheelies.  I know guys who can wheelie for days who are not very skilled slow riders.  It is frustrating that they have no problem with this and I outride them in every other aspect. 

That being said, I used to ride with a guy years ago who was a very good rider who was awesome at wheelies.  I remember rolling out to the riding area in my truck and my buddy comes by on a wheelie with his wife on the back with her legs and arms wrapped around him hanging on for dear life of his 1996 YZ250.  They passed me probably doing 50 on 1 wheel.  I still look back at that as being pretty awesome. 

• Like 5

If you try so hard to wheelie and put all that pressure on yourself or afraid of crashing. There is no point. You need to stay calm and relaxed and not try so hard. You will either get so mad at yourself or your bike lol. It will come naturally to a point. Take your rear fender off and find a grassy hill or area and practice. Go slow and work your way up. That way if you crash, it wont hurt as much and your bike shouldnt get to messed up. G

• Like 1

There is not a much better feeling then riding a long ways on one wheel. I had a yz426 and it loved to wheelie 4th or 5th gear it would pop up easy and be so smooth. my biggest problem is in that o sh%t moment when your going over backwards my mind doesn't work fast enough to push the rear brake. lol It hurts going over backwards on a gravel road in 5th gear. I love the feeling but slowed down on them after that. although just wheelied my 200 xcw over backwards. a few days ago in 2nd and got some gravel rash. :banghead:

I wouldn't gravel wheelie as i can barely rude gravel aline haha hate gravel abs mud