Sign in to follow this  

Will I get used to ride with all the gear?

I'm recently back to riding a dirt bike after 4-5 years taking care of 2 babies.  My gear was 7-8 years old when I sold my stuff, so that would make it 12-13 years old now. I decided to buy everything new, so I went with the knee brace, boots, chest protector, elbows, neck brace, helmet, kidney belt.... Everything is a lot more intrusive than what I used to have. I feel completely disconnected from the bike and limited in my movements. It's hard to flex my ankles to shift or brake, as the entire legs feel like it's made of concrete.  For the guys that ride with their full gear, did it take time to get used to it?

I'll post a video where my ribs and left knee take a beating after a fall.  My rear wheel hits the second bump when I was in the air which put me off balance.  This is the kind of stuff that never bothered me, easy to recover, but I couldn't with the gear on.

Maybe I'll try to ditch the elbows and shoulder part of the chest protector and look for small knee protectors...

Edited by ti-ben

The key is finding gear that works for you and your riding style.

It took me several chest protectors before I found what I liked and could comfortably wear all day. 

Same with elbow pads, knee protection, goggles, and gloves. 

Try a different brand/model/style.

Some of the gear I wear on the bike is made for snowmobiling.

Some of the gear I wear on the snowmobile is made for motorcycles.

My elbow pads are for paintball.

The gloves I wear on snow and dirt are lightweight streetbike gloves.

I'm usually glad I wear the gear.

From%20Clipboard-L.jpg

DSC_9755_-L.jpg

• Like 1

As mentioned above you'll get used to it and it will break in some with use. My neck brace was the hardest thing for me to get used to, but now I won't ride without it.

• Like 1

Awesome pic Mule.

The first one, where you hadn't technically crashed yet :)

Yea, weird not to wear the gear.

I can't and don't do the elbows.

Knee/shin deals took some getting used to.

It's all about the system.  You will eventually know how to put your system together.

Eventually found compression shorts helped eliviate drawer creep.

Found that have to have leggins under the knee/shin protectors.

I always have to go get a certain style/size of tube socks before I put the boots on.

If I'm going to ride more than 30-40 minutes, I tape my nipples.

It's all about the details of the system you personalize for your likes and needs.

But, yea, you have to get used to it.  Make it work.

AGAT

Coo

I should have taped them this afternoon....oh so sensitive :(

• Like 1

I should have taped them this afternoon....oh so sensitive :(

Why exactly do guys tape their nipples? Is it chafing? I have never had an issue...maybe do to the types of undershirts I wear.

Why exactly do guys tape their nipples? Is it chafing? I have never had an issue...maybe do to the types of undershirts I wear.

I had the same thought. Never had an issue either...

OMG Bond....it is the worst part of the sport for me.

Chaffing for sure.

For whatever reason, I always have tittie-hard-ons.  The T-shirt and jersey and CP jossling around rub em raw.

A couple band-aides or electrical tape and all is well.

They are not well right now :(  Thought I'd just do a quick 15-20 minute exersize routine (way more fun than jogging).  But, my track was so nice and loamey and soft...>I couldnt stop.  30+ minutes and my teets are crying.

T

M

I

?

You asked.

I've often wondered if many others are inflicted with senstive nipples and tape them.

I know Dungey does.

It is not uncommon.

It is part of my system...has to be or I'm aching....like right now.

Coo

• Like 1

...maybe do to the types of undershirts I wear.

I think more it is the type of tits you have

Lucky f'ers you guys are.

Lets not transition this conversation to loosing ride days because of roids.

• Like 2

From%20Clipboard-L.jpg

This picture is incredible!

I bought some new knee protectors today after the ride. They are a lot smaller (and cheaper). I'll see next time how they work for me.

When you guys start taping your clits I'm gonna get worried.

To the OP, I have been riding for 40 years and there are some types of gear that I apparently can't tolerate.

Knee and elbows pads are an absolute no-go. They both bind me up bad enough that my claustrophobia kicks in. Which kind of defeats the purpose of riding in the outdoors when you feel like you're locked in a steamer trunk...

The neck brace is just fine, same with boots . Helmet, obviously but it's a tough deal when I start puffing for air. Chest protector, no problem. I have tried running soft pads in my MX pants at the hip and knee and full length jersey sleeves for at least some protection, no dice- I gotta be free.

My point is that some stuff you may never get used to. If this is the case, you can learn to protect that area in falls and never have a problem. Just pick your battles and don't gear up so much that you lose the fun of the ride.

Even an injury isn't worth that.

• Like 3

Claustrophobia is the right word! I felt really uncomfortable. Gotta say it is still cold up here so on top of it all, I need a warm jacket and pants...

Depends what gear, like others said never for knee or elbow pads. I don't use a chest protector now but when i do i buy the padded sleeveless you put under your jersey. Also don't currently have a neck brace but that should be coming in the near future. Not gonna lie I like riding with no chest protector, neck brace, knee brace or elbow brace, it's super freeing and you feel so moveable. But i know it's risky, so neck brace for the near future