Sign in to follow this  

Possible cracked engine case?

Just performed an oil change a week or so ago on my '09 DRZ SM and now it intermittently leaks oil from what seems to be the motor drain bolt. Now, I bought it last month and there weren't any crush washers on it and it completely slipped my mind when putting the oil in to get them. I felt like i torqued it well enough to keep the bolt inside the plug, but I didn't measure the torque to spec. I'd rather fork out the $1 + shipping for a crush washer than to spend nearly $200 on one side for an engine casing.

Also, worst case scenario and I need new engine casings, will the E/S models fit or does it need to be SM specific?

Thanks for the help!

Bloc

Buy the proper crush washers ... not sure if the bolt will actually seal without. As you probably already know ...Not using the crush washers could result in the drain bolt boss on the case fracturing off. 

All DRZ motorcycle engine cases interchange.  A leaking drain plug is not cause to replace the cases.  Even if it is is cracked, it can be repaired.  First thing to do is to install a crush washer of some kind.  The folded steel crush washer from a spark plug will work (expensive way to buy crush washers).  You are in CA so surely there must be an auto parts store someplace near by.  You need a 12mm aluminum, folded steel or fiber washer.  If fiber (like Toyota uses) it needs to be for a oil drain plug.  Aluminum washers are common and available any Honda car or MC dealer.

Alright, perfect. Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to order a crush washer and possibly some JB Weld if worst comes to worse.

I was thinking the JB Weld would deal up the possible crack (if any). Unless that's a different product that I'm thinking of.

I was thinking the JB Weld would deal up the possible crack (if any). Unless that's a different product that I'm thinking of.

cracked case.jpg

DRZ drain plug crack.jpg

That is the common find when a "cracked" case is the issue from a drain plug install gone wrong.

It's not getting "fixed" with JB weld.

And in my humble opinion, it's a waste of time to try and fix it by welding unless you're doing it yourself or having a friend do it for free. 

The case has to be slit and completely disassembled for welding.

The case has to be degreased, welded then the threads recut and likely the outer gasket surface area milled flat and aligned to the hole.

Paying to have all that done at normal going labor rates it as much or more then a case swap.

I bought a case set last month for $80.00.. there are deals to be had in good used cases for under $150

• Like 1

I hate to agree with above but yep, if it's cracked you need to weld it. If worse comes to worse, I have a set of cases sitting in my garage ;)

Now I see. Alright, thanks for the crystal clear explanation, everyone. I'm hoping that it isn't cracked but I'll have to inspect it upon changing my oil sometime in the best future.