Sign in to follow this  

Steering head bearing race removal?

Hey guys,

On my '12 RMZ450's steering head bearing, how do you get the races of the old bearings off?

It's too small for a cut off tool and they won't budge from any punches.

Hey guys,

On my '12 RMZ450's steering head bearing, how do you get the races of the old bearings off?

It's too small for a cut off tool and they won't budge from any punches.

man how come you have to get in it so fast it's fairly new bike?

You can purchase a removal tool, use a punch, or you can carefully use dremel to remove it. Search youtube and you will find how to vids of each.

Edited by BDubb106

man how come you have to get in it so fast it's fairly new bike?

Made the mistake of spraying it with a power washer. Don't do it. I took the triple clamps off and muddy grease dripped off.

The seals are so freakin' chinsy. I finally got them out with a bearing puller and it's out. The new one's seals are so chinsy. The top one isn't even a seal, it's a dust cap.

Made the mistake of spraying it with a power washer. Don't do it. I took the triple clamps off and muddy grease dripped off.

The seals are so freakin' chinsy. I finally got them out with a bearing puller and it's out. The new one's seals are so chinsy. The top one isn't even a seal, it's a dust cap.

good thing I asked I have a13 not many hours but dam I was surprised to see you had to do the head bearings already.

All the pros recommend greasing with better grease all the way around when picked up at the dealership. Guess they are right. Did you do that? Maybe it could have prevented your current situation as well.

• Like 1

Every bike needs grease from the factory. They skimp on the grease and quality is not great. First thing I do with every bike new or used! 

• Like 1

Yeah, just take the triple clamps off and make sure the grease isn't brown. If it is, water got in. Don't spray anything at the cap, atleast not directly. I can tell it'll just lift up and seep in, so make sure it's always greased with waterproof grease around the edges.

Only 22 hours and it happened. Don't spray water at any bearing. Ever.

@adam

I didn't want to use heat since it's aluminum and didn't want to warp it or something.

Always check your bearings.