Sign in to follow this  

KLX 400 starts, idles real low, will shutoff if let idle OR 1st gear

Hello!

My KLX 400 just came back from the shop where they re installed my head after having done work to it to fix a bent intake valve. Shop called me to tell me the bike started. Great i though so i brought it home.

Now I've noticed the idle is real low and will die if i dont give it any gas. Im working on figuring this one out and assume i have to mess with the idle switch? Not sure exactly what im looking for on the carburetor but if someone has a tip for that id appreciate it.

The real problem is when I switch gears into first from neutral. I hear a kind of clunking and the bike dies immediately. This is with the kickstand up. When I do the side stand switch test (key turn to on) i measure .704 V for the up AND the down position. Is there a possibility that my clutch is not set right? the bike seems to move just a tad before it dies. 

Thanks in advance.

Your questions are very basic.  Sounds like idle speed and clutch need adjustment.  So it might be best for you to return it to the shop for adjustments.  There should not be any charge since you just picked it up.  Might even be done as you wait, hard for me to say.

• Like 1

I adjusted the cable adjusters nut to the min and max and that had no effect on the bike shutting down when shifting into first. I feel like this is some sort of electrical problem. What would my options be for figuring out what is actually causing the bike to turn off?

So I take it you are saying the motor shuts off like it is turned off not that the clutch is dragging. Do you have a neutral light?  The sidestand inbtelock system allows the motor to run sidestand down when the transmission is in neutral. Sidestand down in gear, the motor is shuts off.  So both the neutral switch, the side stand switch and the interlock relay need to work.  The clutch lever is not involved in the shutdown, just in starting.  So, does the neutral light come on in neutral?

• Like 1

You might have two separate issues, the low idle and stuck clutch plates. Whenever I park the bike for a long period the clutch plates stick together, if I engage 1st gear with the motor running and clutch depressed the bike tries to jump fwd and the engine dies. You might not notice the bike trying to move forward because of the low idle.

What I do is I rock the bike in gear fwd and back a few times until I can shift into 1st w/o killing the engine. But you should have the idle checked also like Noble said.

The neutral light is on and seems to be required to start the bike.  Also idle is fixed had someone show me the idle switch

The bike will shutoff whether the stand is up or down and like i said at the top reads the same voltage whether up or down. Anyway to bypass the kickstand switch?

Gunna try rocking the bike now.

**Rocking the bike in first a few times had no effect.

-When putting the bike into first WITHOUT the clutch engaged seem to make the bike move forward a few inches

-When putting the bike into first WITH the clutch engaged makes the bike move just a tad. Very small amount.

To me that seems like its an electrical switch shutting off the bike. Possibly cause it thinks the kickstand is down? Again does anyone know how i would bypass this switch to enable the bike to see that the stand is always up?

Edited by KLX400.Riegle

FAQ will tell you how to bypass the switch.  Trace the switch wires to a connector. Jumper the terminals in the connector together.

Before you do that, do 1 more test.  Start the motor in neutral.  Pull in the clutch all the way.  Hold the throttle on to a hight speed idle (estimate 3000 RPM)  push the shift lever in to 1st gear.  If the motor shuts off immediately, it is electrical (neutral interlock).  If the motor keep running, it i not electrical. If the clutch is dragging badly, be ready for the motorcycle to leap ahead when you shift it into gear.  If the motor keeps running but the motorcycle wants to creep ahead, the clutch is dragging too much.  Should be able to have normal idle in gear without creep.

• Like 2

Traced the wires to a green connector, and shoved a hunk of wire to jump it. The bike stays on!!

Went for my first ride and i think i just fell in love. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! especially you Noble

CASE CLOSED!!! :D

• Like 2