Sign in to follow this  

What Forks Fit 2005 YZ 125? Best Options?

Before getting into any details, my question is essentially: what year and model front forks will work properly with my 2005 YZ 125?

I just got a call from Factory Connection. I had been having an issue with my forks hitting and making a clunking noise when the front end came off the ground, so I sent out the fork and shock to them for a rebuild hoping they could easily fix it.

Long story short, I just found out that my forks are totally destroyed internally, and the best option is now to just buy some used forks.

To make sure the forks I get fit, get the best deal, have the widest range of choices, and possibly get a performance upgrade, I need to know which forks will fit and work properly on my 05 YZ 125.

Will '06 forks fit? Or even newer? What about 450f, 250, 250f.... etc for both same model year and newer models?

There are a few different sets I'm looking at on ebay. I know a few different models will fit and some would be an upgrade performance wise. But will they work properly?

What do you think my best option is here? I think there were performance upgrades in both 2005 and 2006 models, correct?

I got a pair of 07' YZ125 forks for my 05' YZ125. I wanted to upgrade to the SSS forks. From what I have read all you have to do is grind 2mm off one of the axle spacers. I am going to have HP do lots of work to my bike next month, and this is part of it.

Here is some good info about swapping to SSS forks...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/931140-09-yz250f-triple-on-05-yz125/

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. My very experienced friend, who I am actually now going to buy a set of '05 forks off of for cheap, it turns out... told me that '06 and up have different caliper mounts, so to do the conversion I'd need to get the matching caliper brackets. Don't hold me to that since I haven't verified it, and I didn't see anyone else mention that as an issue... but if anyone would know it would be this guy. I can't pass up $75-$100 for a set of '05 forks with not having to worry about fit issues.

Other thoughts on this matter are still useful and appreciated for other people, however.

Anyone know anything about the difference in 125 shocks between years? Will 05 forks and 06 shock cause an issue, with the vast difference? Or would it still be an upgrade and work well? I had pitting on my shock shaft as well so now I'm either looking at another $200 for just a rechrome plus the $250 for rebuild, or else getting a new shock and probably having to get it rebuilt still...

Edited by raybes

That's the first I have heard about the calipers mounting different. I guess I will find out.

When I inquired about getting an 06+ shock, I was told there isn't that much of a difference over the 05' but some small stuff internally and that there was no need to get one. But if you are in need of a replacement, might as well score one off of ebay.

I would have done the same thing as you and grabbed some 05 forks if they were a good deal.

Thanks for the reply. My very experienced friend, who I am actually now going to buy a set of '05 forks off of for cheap, it turns out... told me that '06 and up have different caliper mounts, so to do the conversion I'd need to get the matching caliper brackets. Don't hold me to that since I haven't verified it, and I didn't see anyone else mention that as an issue... but if anyone would know it would be this guy. I can't pass up $75-$100 for a set of '05 forks with not having to worry about fit issues.

Other thoughts on this matter are still useful and appreciated for other people, however.

Anyone know anything about the difference in 125 shocks between years? Will 05 forks and 06 shock cause an issue, with the vast difference? Or would it still be an upgrade and work well? I had pitting on my shock shaft as well so now I'm either looking at another $200 for just a rechrome plus the $250 for rebuild, or else getting a new shock and probably having to get it rebuilt still...