Sign in to follow this  

happy with 2014

i just wonder if everyone is happy with the 2014 kx450, i have one in my garage and gonna try it out next week had a 2012 before but i can hardly wait to try the 2014,any tips on suspension and so on ??

i just wonder if everyone is happy with the 2014 kx450, i have one in my garage and gonna try it out next week had a 2012 before but i can hardly wait to try the 2014,any tips on suspension and so on ??

I love mine. Great bike.

I agree. I don't own one but rode my friend's over the weekend. I loved everything about it. It handled much better than I expected and the motor was smooth but killer at the same time. Kudos to Kawi for an awesome power delivery. I was able to just hop on and go, which is always nice.

Put the proper spring on the rear for your weight, back out H/S 1/4 turn to 2 turns out and don't be afraid to soften L/S on shock and run sag on the low side. I am about 106mm with fork hght at about 8mm and bike handles great. I am a Honda guy but like this bike! Shock valving stiff but very adjustable. I cant see running 100mm sag on this bike like the mags say but that's just me.

ok phil i will try that

but first i must break in the suspension ,and then set sag and everything ,right now i have 5,8 nm/mm spring in the rear (worked with the 2012) and about 36psi up front but everything is still harsch, it must be better when broken in ,and thats about 5hours right ??

Set sag and turn H/S out, think you will like it. I am at 12-14 on low speed. Imagine you ride some sand so should work good. Bike likes to be lower in rear. I see no need for a link . With sag at 106 and fork hght at 8mm bike turns good and is stable. You must be 200+ lbs like me being you are running 5.8 rear?

I weigh 250lb. Running 35psi, 6.3 rear spring and 100mm of sag. A/B skill level. 21.5 clamps and the oem longer link. I only have 2.5hrs on the bike.

She gets a little front end push when i really push it in the corner. More so in slicker conditions. Im still up in the air if i like the bridgestones. Not really liking the front for my track which is hardpack clay with some soft spots. Probably gonna put on a starcross mh3.

Ive been playing with the clickers some and got the suspension feeling good. Still playing with the compression to see if it eliminates a little of that front end push. I slid the forks up to about 8-9mm instead of the 5mm. Gonna ride it a few more times with that setting to see if I like it. I also plan to try some lower sag settings to see if that helps with the push.

Hannah/Ktoom,

Curious as to your fork settings for compression and rebound.  

well im about 220 lbs and somewhere between b-c rider, i think the bike works great at higher speeds but is a little harsh n the slow stuff ,i got a x-trig triple but havent used it yet (took it from my 2012) and that is adjustable at 21mm or 23mm offset ,i dont remember what the stock offset is ?? then the only other mods so far (1 hour ) is tm chainslide and guide

I weigh 250lb. Running 35psi, 6.3 rear spring and 100mm of sag. A/B skill level. 21.5 clamps and the oem longer link. I only have 2.5hrs on the bike.

She gets a little front end push when i really push it in the corner. More so in slicker conditions. Im still up in the air if i like the bridgestones. Not really liking the front for my track which is hardpack clay with some soft spots. Probably gonna put on a starcross mh3.

Ive been playing with the clickers some and got the suspension feeling good. Still playing with the compression to see if it eliminates a little of that front end push. I slid the forks up to about 8-9mm instead of the 5mm. Gonna ride it a few more times with that setting to see if I like it. I also plan to try some lower sag settings to see if that helps with the push.

I weigh 225 w/o gear and I am running 36psi in front. I think at 100mm sag and 250lb you are def to low on air pressure. I also backed reb out one on fork to keep it up a tad more. 403 is a great front tire, might be more due to setup.

Edited by Phil Hannah

Hannah/Ktoom,

Curious as to your fork settings for compression and rebound.  

Fork I am one out from stock on rebound and anywhere from 9-11 on comp depending on track. I weigh 225 w/o gear. Back effects front a lot! If it feels stink buggy or like its loading the front to much try less sag. If you have stock valving try  2 out on H/S. For a bigger guy I think shock is pretty good.

I weigh 225 w/o gear and I am running 36psi in front. I think at 100mm sag and 250lb you are def to low on air pressure. I also backed reb out one on fork to keep it up a tad more. 403 is a great front tire, might be more due to setup.

Im just afraid of running higher psi and having issues with the fork seals. Its a shame nobody has figured out an equivalant of psi to proper spring rates. That way you have a better idea of where to start. I started out running 36psi, but backed off to 35psi. This weekend I will try to mess with it again.

Currently I'm at 14 clicks compression and 9 clicks for rebound. I was out further with the rebound and went back in.

My numbers for the rear are HS 2, LS 10 clicks out and reb 14 clicks out.

I used MXA's specs, from there 2013/14 kx450f review, as a baseline. Only problem is that where they list the rebound, they have it at 19 clicks as the stock clicks.  It a major typo cuz the stock setting is 9 clicks out for rebound. Whenever they change a setting, they always say that they put the stock number in (parenthesis). Well there is no parenthesis and they have the stock setting at 19 clicks out. Dummy me setup my bike like this and discovered the typo this past weekend lolol….. so its kinda like starting over to a certain extent. 

Just my opinion but you are to soft on fork and to stiff on shock. Fork comp should be some where around 9 and shock 12-14. MXA has been posting fork reb at 19 for sometime now, shame on them!!! Difference between 35-37 psi shouldn't cause seal failure. I think you posted you are running a link? If you aren't you should try more sag. I think stock shock rebound may be 19. With the extra sag only went in about two clicks on shock rebound.

Just my opinion but you are to soft on fork and to stiff on shock. Fork comp should be some where around 9 and shock 12-14. MXA has been posting fork reb at 19 for sometime now, shame on them!!! Difference between 35-37 psi shouldn't cause seal failure. I think you posted you are running a link? If you aren't you should try more sag. I think stock shock rebound may be 19. With the extra sag only went in about two clicks on shock rebound.

Thanks for the input Phil. Forgot to mention that my bike is a leftover 13, but that don't matter cuz nothing really got changed in 2014. I am running the oem longer link. Before I start messing with the sag, I will mess with the clickers some more and bump up the air a little bit.

I rode my 2014 twice with all the clickers at stock settings.  Didn't bother checking sag as it would change once everything broke in.  Was gonna go with MXA settings as baseline now and realized the typo on the fork rebound so just left everything at stock settings.  But I was never able to set the fork pressure at the track due to my own fault.  Had set it at 35 psi the night prior to both rides but still thought everything worked pretty good.  When I checked fork pressure after getting home (everything cooled down) pressure was 32-33 psi on both occasions.  Will set sag tonight at 100 in preparation for a race tomorrow and set fork pressure to 35 psi at the track and give that a go.

but i wonder if the stock valving are the same in the us models and the european models ,i ride mine in the woods a lot and i think the fork works great but the rear end is a little different ,but it still isnt broken in only have about 1,5 hours on it