Sign in to follow this  

09-14 water pump seal installation help

I have a 13 crf450 that I replaced the water pump bearing,seal and machanical seal on. I didnt replace impellor because it wasnt worn and I dont even know if it was leaking before. I was loseing coolant not sure how but when rebuilding complete motor I figured I would replace and start fresh with my trouble shooting. Anyways I pushed mechanicial seal in and installed the rest of motor. When I put coolant in, it imediately dripped out through the weep hole. I took water pump cover off and didnt look like the impellor was pushing on the crush washer. I taped the inner part of the mechanical seal inward. The inner part that seals around the shaft. Impellor. Seal seemed to go in a little and impellor screwed on as it should. Coolant no longer leaked out unless it is running. Wheen running it drips out through weep hole so I know issue is the mechanical seal. Do I need a new mechanical seal or do I just need to push it in more. The manual has a step where you measure for clearence I do not follow what there doing in that step. Any input would be great.

Edited by smallfry680

Yea I had everything on shaft when I took it off and waited to get rebuild kit. I then put back in the same way double checking with manual. I believe issue is with mechanical seal witch you can only put in one way. If the smaller seal on the back was installed wrong then oil would come out weep hole as that seal keeps the oil in the clutch side. The mechanical seal keeps the coolant from passing through to the weep hole.

Yea I had everything on shaft when I took it off and waited to get rebuild kit. I then put back in the same way double checking with manual. I believe issue is with mechanical seal witch you can only put in one way. If the smaller seal on the back was installed wrong then oil would come out weep hole as that seal keeps the oil in the clutch side. The mechanical seal keeps the coolant from passing through to the weep hole.

true. You replace your balancer bearings? If their bad then it's going to vibrate that water pump shaft while running and leak.. You replace the wp bearing? I'm just shooting ideas out there

Just small wp bearing. Do you know what the manual is talking about when it says measure clearence I'll get on my computer and post the step but I know Admins don't like pics on manuals

Just small wp bearing. Do you know what the manual is talking about when it says measure clearence I'll get on my computer and post the step but I know Admins don't like pics on manuals

I Havnt had to change a newer model water pump seal honestly. BUT if it's noisy when idling then that's a dead give away your counter balancer bearings are bad. Usually it's the left side bearing that goes but if I was you I'd replace both of them.. If I was you that would be my next step.