Sign in to follow this  

Stripped out oil drain plug 2005 450 EXC

I recently purchased this bike, at the time, it had a carbon fiber skid plate on it. This morning ,I went to change the oil for the first time. After removing the skid plate , I found out the guy before had totally rounded out the head of the magnetic drain plug. I guess I'm asking just how #%$!d am I? has anyone come across this issue on the RFS motor? How did they fix it? Will I have to use an extractor bit. I'm asking for advice from all the "stripped bolt gurus" out there, thanks. She needs a "blood transfusion " and she'll be ready to rip.

Can you square it off with a grinder?

If you can just take away enough material to get a good bite with a wrench.

Even better if you can get it to where you can get the boxed end on it.

Good luck

I recently purchased this bike, at the time, it had a carbon fiber skid plate on it. This morning ,I went to change the oil for the first time. After removing the skid plate , I found out the guy before had totally rounded out the head of the magnetic drain plug. I guess I'm asking just how #%$!d am I? has anyone come across this issue on the RFS motor? How did they fix it? Will I have to use an extractor bit. I'm asking for advice from all the "stripped bolt gurus" out there, thanks. She needs a "blood transfusion " and she'll be ready to rip.

If the bolt is already rounded up then try pliers,  I have removed broken head bolts with Knipex pliers may give them a try,otherwise carefully use a EZ out.

17301da6-f834-438d-ae9f-dcd20ce9e7fc_300

Edited by mojave1