Sign in to follow this  

which bike for newish rider

Ive been riding street bikes for about 7 years now off and on now and recently got my 6 yr old a crf50 so he can learn himself. I didnt get to learn on dirt bikes like i wanted so i learned on the streets when i was in my early 20s. Id like something to ride with him and on my own when i get a chance. My buddy says get a crf100 but it seems like it would be too small...but what do i know...ya know. I just figured i would get a few more opinions.

Anyways im 5'10, about 220-230 depending on the day of the week...

The kids bike has training wheels so im not worried about jumping off and on the bike so much, just want something that will be fun and last a long time...im not growing anymore at 31...lol. also...my buddy says nothing beats a honda for reliability and cheap parts. However, im not stuck on honda...all suggestions are welcome.

What do yall think.

Crf 230, big bike but nothing you can't deal with. My 6 foot friend is learning on one and he's fine. It's almost like a beginner bike for people that aren't little haha.

I watched my friends son pretty much completely submerge his crf230 in a deep creek about five years ago. It still runs like a champ today. E start, doesn't run hot in the slow stuff, descent power. Great, low maintenance trail bike.

Edited by Hoosier-Daddy

i'll have to check one of those out. 

i like to ride around on the 50 and it would be cool to get another one and fix up but i also want something that i can take out on my own and have fun.

there is a local dirt track that i may have access to through my buddy..would i be able to ride around on that and have fun or would the jumps be too much for that bike??  im not going to not get a bike just cuz it cant do jumps because that's not my priority, but would still be fun to do it if i get the chance.

you could try a crf250r, or any motocross class competition 250 or 125 2 stroke, but you have to be wary of older bikes. You already know your way around a clutch, throttle control and shifting on a bike. 

Edited by mattmyers34

Look for Honda CRF230F, Yamaha TT-R 230, Suzuki DRZ 250 for trail bikes.  If you want enduro/offroad bikes, WR250F, CRF250X, KLX300R, KTM 250 XCF-W...but these are pricier and have better performance.  I would not recommend taking the trail bikes to an MX track...not meant for jumping and you will be getting run over by the MX riders.  If there is a beginner track there, the enduro bikes might do ok...but they are not really meant for MX track riding..

One piece of unsolicited advice.  Lose the training wheels.  If your kid cant ride a bicycle without training wheels, teach him how to do that first and then get him on the motorcycle.  I am sure others will jump in but training wheels dont teach anything and they are more of a crutch and make the bike unstable in corners (remember the old 3 wheelers that got outlawed?  ---bike with training wheels handles about like that).

Craigslist is the place to look.  There have to be lots/lots on CL in the Dallas metro area.  Can also use www.bikefinds.com.  The scams on CL to be careful of are for sellers...not really buyers.   The way to get scammed for buyers is to buy a piece of crap that needs work, pay too much,  something falsely advertised (selling a 2002 as a 2005), or buying something with a VIN scratched off (e.g. stolen).  Seller should have the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or a title (depends on if your state requires).  A few states (including Colorado) only require a bill of sale....but the danger is that if they dont have title or MCO....the bike could be financed and not fully paid off and the finance company is holding the MCO/title until paid).  I have bought some bill of sale bikes, but I want to see a full history of what has happened with the bikes such as the original dealer invoices and any subsequent copies of bills of sale).  Look up specs on whatever you are thinking of buying and study pictures of what it looked like from the manufacturer and look for any changes from stock.  www.kbb.com/motorcycles and www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles can give you some pricing guidance.

Just looked on Dallas/Ft Worth CL and I find about 10+ listings for CRF230F.  On CL be sure to search all the various combinations (CRF230, CRF 230, CRF230F, CRF 230F) of the bikes you are looking for.

thanks for the info guys...im still looking.

right now my budget is 1000 unless i sell this other gun, then it will bump up to 2k. 

there is a crf100 local but my buddy said the guy told him 800 but he told me 1000.  im trying to get that down to 800 so well see.

there is also a ttr250 and a yamaha250f that is around the same price.  i really dont think the 250 would be too big for me but i am worried that the 100 will be too small. im kind of thinking of going with the 250, then when the kid either doesnt want to ride or out grows the 50, i can beef it up and ride that around the yard and/or use as a pit bike for myself. 

Edited by johnparker903

The ttr230 would be the best choice. If you find a yamaha 250f for 800$ something is wrong with the bike. The crf 100 should be out of the question get the 230 it's easy to handle and will do well when you are at low revs keeping up with your son

2001 KTM 200EXC

i keep reading a 125 2t is equivalent to a 250 4t.  

would the 125 be too small in terms of physical size or no and are those pretty much race bikes only?

i have a buddy, 50+, that rides a yz250f at the track every  now and then and that sounds like fun.  im assuming that any 250 4t would be good for following the kid as well as getting on the track every now and then?

i really wish i could get two bikes, one for the trail and one for the track but that isnt an option at this point.  if i cant get one that can do both, i'll start with the trail since riding with the kid is most important.

Edited by johnparker903

would the 125 be too small in terms of physical size or no and are those pretty much race bikes only?

i have a buddy, 50+, that rides a yz250f at the track every  now and then and that sounds like fun.  im assuming that any 250 4t would be good for following the kid as well as getting on the track every now and then?

i really wish i could get two bikes, one for the trail and one for the track but that isnt an option at this point.  if i cant get one that can do both, i'll start with the trail since riding with the kid is most important.

125 2 stroke is a full size bike, same as a 250 4t. if you are spending $1k 250F race bikes are just out of the question.

You'd be best off getting an older 125 (from the 90's) in good condition and then change sprocket size for more bottom end torque. It is a full sized bike

i kind of wanted to get a 125 2t when i first started looking but my buddy talks so much bad stuff about them that pushed me away from them.  i trust him and what he says but from what i read, they just arent as bad as he says...

he says they are expensive to maintain, i'll get the cops called on me everytime i ride in my neighborhood because of the noise, have to premix the fuel, and i cant just cruise around, its either all or nothing.  he says the 4t has less maintenance, more power, and will last longer.

i have a buddy, 50+, that rides a yz250f at the track every now and then and that sounds like fun. im assuming that any 250 4t would be good for following the kid as well as getting on the track every now and then?

i really wish i could get two bikes, one for the trail and one for the track but that isnt an option at this point. if i cant get one that can do both, i'll start with the trail since riding with the kid is most important.

I'm not speaking for all 125's but I have always had trouble on mine with riding with slower friends. I'd go through spark plugs like no other.

It'd be a great bike for you but with the dual purpose you're looking for I'd go with a simple four stroke just cause

i kind of wanted to get a 125 2t when i first started looking but my buddy talks so much bad stuff about them that pushed me away from them.  i trust him and what he says but from what i read, they just arent as bad as he says...

he says they are expensive to maintain, i'll get the cops called on me everytime i ride in my neighborhood because of the noise, have to premix the fuel, and i cant just cruise around, its either all or nothing.  he says the 4t has less maintenance, more power, and will last longer.

Here's some facts, 2 stroke's are cheaper to maintain, Don't sound as loud as a 4 stroke but they don't really like to cruise. Premixing isn't anything to worry about.