Sign in to follow this  

no need to grind

on previous post regarding xrr countershaft spocket upgrade some people resorted to using a grinder on the spocket to get it to fit the xrl. this is not nesassary.

go to your local honda shop and purchase a 3 oz. tube of honda moly 60 paste. not grease. paste! moly grease is between 2% and 5% moly.it is for cv's and bearings. honda moly paste is 60% moly. it is for metal on metal. this will prevent further damage to splines. put light coat on shaft splines. install xrr spocket.

use big socket and tap lightly with hammer. sprocket will go on with no problems.  you purchased a new keeper flange, right?  put a light coat of moly 60 on it also.

moly is your friend.

Not all brands of XR650R sprockets will tap on,period,don`t care what kinda of grease you use,magic Honda grease doesn`t make it better,grease of any type doesn`t make up for a sprocket being to thick..some of these sprockets are thicker and the back must be chamfered,period......

Just because your sprocket fit on doesn`t mean they all will..,this has been discussed in  number of posts..

B

Edited by brianhare

Not all brands of XR650R sprockets will tap on,period,don`t care what kinda of grease you use,magic Honda grease doesn`t make it better,grease of any type doesn`t make up for a sprocket being to thick..some of these sprockets are thicker and the back must be chamfered,period......

Just because your sprocket fit on doesn`t mean they all will..,this has been discussed in  number of posts..

B

True enough Brian. The stock oem front 650r sprocket i got from the dealer had to be ground down quite a bit to get the retaining clip on properly.

roger that. mine is a super-moto so i use a 16 for highway work. going to a 17 inch rear wheel shortened up the final drive ratio.

I installed the 15t PBI sprocket as well. It didn't seem to want to slip right on until I rotated it and the slots seemed to align at one point, like a key. Slipped right on, no tapping!

Dude, trying to avoid replying to this post. Installed my favorite chain sprocket combo today. Ironman front and rear with a DID ERV-3. I had to make a .180" or .200" chamfer on the front. PITA I did slather some molybdenum disulfide paste on me splines.