Sign in to follow this  

Is a fork rebuild difficult / better left for winter?

Hey guys. The left fork on my RM250 is leaking oil, a pretty good amt every time I ride. Rode pretty hard today and it feels as if the suspension is getting a bit rough. My question is, is this a hard rebuild, and would I be better off riding like it is and leaving the forks for winter, or rebuilding now? Should I even attempt this rebuild myself? Had lots of fun today doing some hill climbing and stuff as an aside :)

If you wait there is a possibility you will damage internals and then you will have repairs on top of a rebuild. If it is you're first time doing it on your own i would suggest watching several videos on YouTube getting as close to your model as possible. It is a job that requires many special tools and some technique. If it were me, I wouldn't wait another minute.

If you wait there is a possibility you will damage internals and then you will have repairs on top of a rebuild. If it is you're first time doing it on your own i would suggest watching several videos on YouTube getting as close to your model as possible. It is a job that requires many special tools and some technique. If it were me, I wouldn't wait another minute.

Yep, this.

Im not too familiar with that specific fork, but from my experience, do not rebuild the seals without replacing the bushings in the fork. As they wear down, it can cause slop which will put an uneven stress on the seal, decreasing the longevity of the seal. Also buy the correct tools, it is a PITA when bolts and caps have been mutilated beyond repair.