Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 with 35-40 hours

MOST people will say that is when a top end is due for a change. Depending on the riding style of the owner it could be toast now or barely there. If he is wide open all the time on the track it probably can use a replacement as of now. If he putts through the trails with the occasional rip it could probably go double that. Personally if I was to buy it I would replace the top end either way just to be safe.

If the bike has under 40 hours and a new top end it should start easily. If it's leaking oil it's coming from the center cases which is going to cost you time and money or it's leaking from the clutch side case which is cheaper to fix. Either way it's not good. Sometimes our bikes will drip oil after we do an oil change from the guide plate/frame area but it's minimal and it stops.

Probably good thing you passed on it.  I bet the seller felt dumb that he couldn't start the bike.  I've had people tell me on the phone not to start the bike because they wanted to see a cold start.  Luckily I don't sell POS bikes and have never had a problem with the bike not firing up after a couple of kicks.

Edited by DirtSmoker250