Sign in to follow this  

Ignorant father

How do I tell my dad (he thinks he knows everything about dirt bikes) that TTR 125s don't compete with 65 2-strokes and TTR 230s don't run with 125 2-strokes? I told him I wanna move up from a CR 125 and he said an XR 250 would be the next step. That's a hell of a drop in motor. How do I tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about

dont tell gim he doesnt know what hes talking about....explain it from a technical standpoint....mabey its more of a lateral switch..or its a safer option as opposed to going to a 250 - try to find a different approach... good luck!

• Like 1

How do I tell my dad (he thinks he knows everything about dirt bikes) that TTR 125s don't compete with 65 2-strokes and TTR 230s don't run with 125 2-strokes? I told him I wanna move up from a CR 125 and he said an XR 250 would be the next step. That's a hell of a drop in motor. How do I tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about

First off. Ignorant is great way to put it lol. I'd say print some info off of the internet. Things like stats of the bikes. Pics of the bikes as well. Don't have him look for it, chances are he won't. Then when he's not too involved, lol corner him and start with the 125 and compare it to the xr. Then bring in the upgrade stats. 250 2t or 450 4t which ever. Now I'm a father and one thing I'll tell you is, it's all about timing. After a long day/week at work, that first hr I'm home from work, Just walk away lol. After I've had about an hr to myself. I'll listen to about anything. Also don't "force" it on him, present it to him. If he changes direction on the idea, just say "I guess this is the wrong time" and try again later. Hold your ground, but don't be "angry" about it.
  • Like 1

Depending on the riding you are doing, he may be correct.   Also, for a young guy without much money the XR's are really tough bikes and cheap.  My advice is this, first you need to realize how amazingly lucky you are that your dad wants to buy you a dirt bike.  Let your dad know how thankful you are for his generosity and trusting in you to be responsible.  Be honest with him.  I bet he's pretty convinced that the XR is the best bike and internet stats won't change his mind.  The one thing he can't argue is that your heart really excited about a 125.  Sometimes Dad's really want to see there boys happy, so stop arguing about what bike is best.  Let him know that he is probably right, but that a 125 is what you're in love with.  I guarantee he isn't going to go out and buy a bike you don't want. 

• Like 6

How about re-title your post to ' Ignorant Son'. The foul language and general tone of your post tells me your not handling the 'situation' very well at all. Your coming from a position of conflict as opposed to one of understanding. Take the time to listen and understand why your Dad feels the way he does about the XR and you'll be in a better position to talk about alternatives. 

• Like 5

My advice is grow up and buy your own bike. My dad stopped buying me bikes and parts when I moved up to big bikes. I still get tires and little stuff for Christmas and birthdays, or sometimes he will get me some grips or levers or whatever for jobs around the house or working on his jeep or boat.

• Like 3

Honestly, You sound like a spoiled brat.  Do you have any idea how lucky you are that you have a dad that puts money into your dirtbike hobby?  When I was 7, my dad was GIVEN a 1991 Honda ct-70.  Wasn't a dirtbike at all.  But that was my christmas present. a free ct-70. and I was so happy.  that's the only bike my dad ever gave me.  I bought my first dirtbike in the 8th grade.  It was a brand new chinese knock-off.  but I bought it myself, with 8 years of birthday money and yard mowing money saved up.  I've also paid my own money for my 04 yz 125, 07 rmz 250, and my current 08 yz450.  So first off, don't sound so spoiled and be thankful for what you've been given.  Second, your dad may have a point.  You never specified what kind of riding you do.  If you're a field/dirt road riding goon squad rider, then maybe he's tired of working on your bike, and wants you to get a bullet-proof one.  Either way, there's no excuse to hate on your old man.  I would've loved to have your oppurtunity.

• Like 9

Lol @ people who are jelly your family buys your bikes.

Honestly even though he is wrong on engine size, and power; doesn't mean you have a right to call him ignorant! Be happy he is wanting to buy you a bike.

I imagine you probably aren't giving him a reason to buy you a different bike, maybe he thinks if you're going to act like a child, he'll buy you a child's bike like a ttr. (Xr whatever, point is not a race bike.)

Before anyone wants to call me jelly (assume that means jealous @gscx) my dad has bought my bikes, they might not be the newest (I ride a 2003), but it still cost a lot of money, and I'm thankful for that.

Maybe try a better approach to convincing him to buy you a 2stroke, or just buy one yourself since I assume you're at least 18 due to the "1995" in your username.

• Like 6

I dont think its so much jealousy as it is an act of trying to show this kid how good hes got it bud. Hes basically being offered a new bike and hes calling his dad ignorant for giving his opinion. You sound like you probably get things handed to you on a silver platter too and thats great, but we didnt all have that luxury growing up. Some of us had to use our hard earned money to buy our own bikes and if we messed something up then there was a good chance we waited to raise more money to fix it. Thats just how it was. Now isnt it time to go ask your mommy and daddy for something new again?

• Like 2

show him written and physical truth he's probably thinking about your safety. He's just being dad.
  • Like 1

TT is great for that.

Some people buy a secondhand YZ125 and suddenly they have an opinion on what everyone's family should do and how $$$ should be spent.

XR250s arent a bad thing though....

show him written and physical truth he's probably thinking about your safety. He's just being dad.

X2.

• Like 1

A CR125 makes 34 horsepower and weighs a little over 200 pounds. An XR250 makes 18 horsepower and weighs 250 pounds.

An 85 will run away from from an XR250 on a track.

TTRs and XRs are play/trail bikes. CRs are race bikes. They live in a different world. It's like trying to compare a Chevy Malibu on a car dealer's lot with the Chevy "Malibu" in NASCAR races.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 2

Curious to see what the OP's riding style is.

Track?

Trail?

Age?

Ability?

Years riding?

School Grade?

School Grades?

Family Life? ie Mom, Dad, Brothers, Sisters at home

Does Dad ride with you?

Dad's Carrier?

What kind of car did Dad buy you?

I am a dad of 3 boys and all of this matters to me when I go out and buy a bike for the boys so we can ride together.

Fill this out and then I will comment on the kind of bike you should get.

Edited by Weekend Rider
  • Like 3

Who is paying the bills? That is the person who makes the choice.

I rode what I wanted, well could afford when I was young. My parents would not contribute one thin dime. Had they been willing to buy me a bike, I'd of been very happy with ANYTHING.

• Like 1

I rode what I wanted, well could afford when I was young. My parents would not contribute one thin dime. Had they been willing to buy me a bike, I'd of been very happy with ANYTHING.

This is true, but if the father is trying to put the kid on a motocross track with an XR250 that is a rather misguided decision that could end up getting the kid hurt.

• Like 3

Yes William, thats one way of looking at it.

But I dare say you could get 2 roached 125s for the price of an XR250 (or any dual purpose bike) in reasonable condition.... Therefore the financial argument is out the window.

Why not make a wiser investment for the sake of some information?    (assuming he's MXing or hard trail riding)

Edit: re read thread, he's moving FROM a 125.

Same still applies although the 125s would be cheap the 250 smoker not so much. But: why buy the wrong bike for the job and waste dad's cash, if dad's still paying.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

Here is an idea...buy your own bike you pos instead of crying about what your dad wants to buy you

• Like 1