Sign in to follow this  

New Guy 89' XR600

Just bought a '89 today. 

Ride street bikes regularly, new to big offroaders. I rode trials when I was a kid, into teens. Havent really been on dirt since.

Bought the bike for a Colorado trip. The wife and I will be taking the Xterra from Texas up there with the bike on the hitch. I plan on just putting around, very light trails, sight seeing.

I know two-up will be challenging, and I don't want to mess up vacation, so I will take it easy. After vacation, I imagine most of my riding will be solo and that means probably progressively more aggressive.

Needs: (suggestions welcome)

check valves and adjust

basic check items (chain, sproket, oil, etc.)

passenger pegs

dual sport kit (key, lights, etc)

trail tech vapor computer or similar

cheap GPS

dual sport tires

possibly a kush-sprocket?

possible oil temp dipstick?

maybe a rack of some sort and small gas can 

Jetting is not right. The previous owner put in a K&N and the baffles are gone out of the pipe, as well as the little access door at the rear lower part of the can.

He claims he put stock jets in and is at factory settings. Bike is tough to start, and from the little bit of neighborhood runs ive done, it doenst have any mid/high to high range grunt. (I hope this is just a jetting issue) Any advice? I would also like to put the bike to 'stock', for some reason I think it would be easier to tune when I get to Colorado. Maybe Im wrong.

I like the bike so far. I want it a tad quieter and most of all to run right.

Edited by markc522

Jet it properly especially the pilot...not sure what is OE jetting for the 600. Free flow air filter and airbox opened and you will have a great ride.

Pulled the carb, checked the jets and they are 162 and 65.

Also checked the fuel valve, a trickle on 'ON', and solid flow on 'RES'

Tried to unbolt the fuel valve and I guess the 'nuts' inside the tank are stripped. I cant get the valve off, and now it leaks like crazy. Looks like I will be buying a new tank and valve?

What jets should I order 165, 168 and 68? I need jets for Texas and jets for Colorado. I also have 155, 160 and 55 60 62

Edited by markc522

Great, I just pulled the front sprocket guard and the sprocket is loose side to side and rotationally . The 'retainer' is worn out and the sprocket and c/s splines are worn. Its not terrible but its not good.

I may try a new sprocket, new clip and some sort of washer/spacer to move the sprocket more onto good splines. Possibly just weld the new sprocket on and ride until the sprocket needs changing.

Probably find those bolts that hold the gas petcock on the tank aren't stripped. The actual nuts or whatever they go into

on the tank are simply turning with the bolt. It's a common problem with them. I don't know how you'd get them out..bit

of a problem there as you can't use heat and you have nothing to hold onto to somehow free up the nut or holding system

which is recessed in the plastic of the tank..

A bit of sprocket wobble is nothing out of the ordinary on 600s. I see people trying new 650R sprockets on them to rid themselves

of the movement and kinda wonder why as to me that wobble/movement is normal..Every 600 I've owned had it to a degree..

How many splines on that countershaft sprocket. The old type of shaft has about 6 splined fingers..newer design has somewhere

around 12 at a guess. Depending on how many splines you have determines whether you can use the 650R countershaft sprocket

as most people here do..Spot of weld would do as a fix if it's really bad,,just enough so you can grind it off and do it again with another sprocket

if the need arises..

Edited by Horri

It's the older wide splines (6), 1989. I will see what a new sprocket and retainer do before commuting to welding.

I guess the tank problem is a good excuse for a larger capacity unit.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction for jet sizing and where I can get exhaust baffle or an aftermarket can? (I have the two into two header) again. It's an '89.

I used to run 165/65 on the stock carb,,Needle 1 down from blunt. .To me you're in the ballpark now with the jetting.

You'll find it pretty difficult to get an aftermarket muffler to bolt up to the twin header system. I doubt anyone makes a

muffler for them,,I was lucky and managed to acquire a two in to one joiner for the rear of those stock

two pipe headers..You may have to make something like that or purchase a set of XL600 headers used and use them. You 

could also use a set of earlier XR headers but they are not as wide in diameter as the XLs..The XL set supposedly being the hot

mod for XRs if you don't want to spend a fortune on other silver/gold/chrome plated aftermarket headers..Once you have that

2 into 1 joiner on the end of the stock headers you can throw pretty much any muffler from a 450/250 4Stroke dirt bike on there..It'll

obviously need a bit of pipe work to get it on..stock DIY stuff or haul it into an exhaust shop and get them to do it....

Never in my life have I purchased a muffler which is specially designed for a particular larger 4 stroke. Any muffler from a highish

hp 4stroke works..Back in the day we'd run car mid exhaust mufflers on 250/350/500..XL/XR,,Good as gold they were..people even ran them

on TT500/600..That is not to say you won't get some sort of benefit from a specially designed muffler,,the 1hp benefit if you even get any

will cost you something like $500..I'd rather spend 80 on something used and be done with it..

Edited by Horri

Thanks Horri, Im with you. $80 vs $500.... Im all over ther $80.

That being said. I went from 0 to 100 in three days!!!! I got ANOTHER XR. I got the 600 Friday and just snagged the other one Sunday night. Driving through the neighborhood and saw a garage sale XR200. Its a long long story that took all of Sunday to complete, but I ended up with this sweet little ride for CHEAP.

First two pics are of the 6 (disassembled obviously) and the other three are of the sweet little 200.  I really wish the 200 would handle my two-up Colorado trip....

photo%25202%2520%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25201%2520%25282%2529.JPG

photo%25201%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo%25203%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo%25202%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Edited by markc522

Cripes,,Good looking condition the 200s in..I doubt there would be one still alive in NZ..I'm always astounded at

the condition of older bikes in the US..Any of those 200s left in NZ would be a mess compared to that bike..

Looks like the "sheds" got the gear for working on the bikes..can't imagine the 200 needs much doing..600

also looks in fair nick..

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess theres no title for the "xr200". It's a beautiful bike and in awesome condition but that isnt an xr200. An xr200 is a single carb bike with a single header pipe. The front drum brake narrows it down to being a 250, 350 or certain years of the 500 (up to 82). Dual carbs means it has to be an 83 or newer...... so, my money says its an 1983 xr350r. Congratulations, its an even better deal than you thought.

To confirm my guess, check the head tube for the vin plate, it should provide confirmation.

That is a nice 200. I've only seen one running specimen in person and it was on a trail.

Those were meant to be raced back when there was a 200cc class of some sort and everything I've read points to them having cooling issues if rode slowly like a trail putter. They sure were'nt known to be as durable as the 2 valve 200 that was produced for decades in one form or another.

Engine parts availability will most likely be a problem.

From what research I have done on the 200, its not as durable or desirable as the other 2 valve 200's. Parts will probably be a problem. I have been riding around the neighborhood on it and is sure is a blast!! I dont really want to sell it, but I am going to. I got this thing for cheap, and I can dump the profit into the 600. 

Im ording a manual, but it wont be here for a while. What are the valve clearances supposed to be on the '89? and what is the procedure for the auto decompression adjustment?

I also hope the book has a chart on jetting for elevation so I can start ordering jets ill need in Colorado.

To do list: (please add to this if you can)

Oil filter and chance, check the oil screen as well.

Valve clearances

Decomp adjustment

Air filter

Pull carb, clean (i dont think it needs is)

Also, one more question. On 2 or 3 kicks when trying to start it, the kick lever clicks and almost feels like its slipping, if it was, it wouldnt return back to its 'closed' position would it?

Is this 'click' related to the decompression mechanism? Or do I have a bigger problem?

Edited by markc522

If you don't let the kick lever return all the way before the next kick, it can cause that slipping feel.

To do should also include check all fasteners for tightness and changing the fork oil. The forks on the 89 are simple damper rod forks, they are real easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Fresh fork oil can make a pretty big difference in the feel of the fork, especially in regards to stiction.

I hope you find a good buyer for that 200 that will take care of such a nice vintage bike. Those were the highest performance XR200's that Honda ever sold in the U.S., and not just in the power department either. XR200R suspension just kept getting shorter and more trail rider orientated as the years went on. They lost the headlight too and never got disc brakes, so your XR200R is worth owning for a collectors piece.

That XR200R is wet sump too, just like the XR250R was until the 1990's. The wet sump XR250R had a factory oil cooler and I wouldn't be surprised if one could be used on the 200. People with the XR250L's change the clutch cover to a XR250R cover of the correct year and use the factory oil cooler. That may work on the 200 if it uses the same clutch cover.

Edited by Onederer

Dang, Now I am wanting to keep the 200, I blasted around the neighborhood last night after work. 

I got it cheap enough....

What is it worth if I did sell?

Found an online service manual.

According to this, I calculate my jetting needs for 8000 feet to be a 153 main. I have a 155, so thats probably what I will use.

My estimated correction factor is .93 so I will move the needle clip one, and re adjust the pilot screw.

I will be running an UNI filter, air ducts on the airbox gone, and stock exhaust with baffle in (at least for the mountains trip)

Im also starting to think my current jetting is ok (like Horri mentioned above) I need to adjust the valves and make final adjustments to the cabs (I havent checked the pilot screw adjustment)

Ive only ridden the bike around the block a few times and it did feel a little flat mid to full throttle. I have never ridden an xr before, so I dont have a baseline. It aslo wasnt 'fully' warmed up, and I wasnt really riding it hard. It could even be touch of clutch slippage.

STOCK%2520CARB%2520SETTINGS.JPG+

ELEVATION%2520TUNING.JPG

Edited by markc522

Sold the 200. More than double what I bought it for. I was genuinely sad to see it go. I was riding around the neighborhood nearly every evening.

The money is going to the big one.

I got a Clark tank on order, as well as front sprocket, new sprocket keeper, factory exhaust baffle, and some extra odds and ends. Going to get it up and running good before any goodies.

My neighbor saw the new XR collection and ran out and found a nearly mint 2002 650. I rode that around for motivation.