Sign in to follow this  

My First DRZ 400e

Hey all, I've bee reading this forum for about 2 weeks now. You guys are great and really seem to know your stuff. Having said that, I just bought a 2000 DRZ 400e. It has an acerbis tank, Vapor speedo, two brothers exhaust, aftermarket handlebars and what looks like baja designs rear led tail light, horn, and light/turn signal switch. I'm not sure, but it looks like a new auto cam chain adjuster. Also the front left fork looks like it's leaking a little, I'm hoping theres just some dirt under the seal (gonna play with it tomoro). I've ridden it a little and the thing is a blast in the twisties. The engine sounds great, pulls hard and starts every time first time (electric start). 

My question is, what are the first things I should do, and/or look over on the bike. I'm gonna change the oil and filter in a couple days, what else is there to do?

Also wondering what you guys would suggest for some turn signals and if you can give me an idea on what I'd need. I know it's hard to say without looking at it, but I know nothing about electrical on a bike. I'm sure I'll need a flasher relay, kinda lost at what else and how that plugs into what I've got. Can post some pics if needed.

It's got a baja design mirror, the thing sucks. Vibrates like hell, can't see anything. I'll try to tighten the screws in it and see if that helps. I'm in the market for new mirrors tho. Something that will stay still enough for me to see something.

Last thing is, what would you suggest I do to make the stock headlight brighter? It's embarrassing and hard to see in the daytime for oncoming cars. 

Thanks,

Nick

photo.PNG

what are the first things I should do, and/or look over on the bike-----Read the FAQ'

Also wondering what you guys would suggest for some turn signals. I'm sure I'll need a flasher relay, kinda lost at what else and how that plugs into what I've got.----You can buy a kit or put something together yourself.  You need a handlebar switch, a flasher relay, and 4 turn signals of your choice.  If you use LED, you will need an electronic flasher.  I would imagine you need to add the wires to the turn signals.

I'm in the market for new mirrors-----Buy the mirror mounts for the DRZ400S.  Then you can use any mirrors with 10mm 1.25 pitch threads (standard)

Last thing is, what would you suggest I do to make the stock headlight brighter?------Replace it.  The stock headlight is not going to work well on a street bike. The handlebar switch you buy for turn signals will add HI and LO beam switching.  You just need to wire it up or buy a kit.

• Like 1

Nice! Thought I was reading my own "future" thread :). Just bought a modded 00e myself... Spent way too much and could of Had an 05 with 2kmiles for what I paid for it. But every mod besides the recluse auto cluch I would of bought anyways...

I already have the handlebar switch for the turn signals, as well as hi and low beam. My question was along the lines of is there anything else I'd need besides the relay, I also don't know how the relay plays into all of this as far as wiring goes. I can't find anything that gives me a diagram or even a hint of how to properly wire it. 

As far as the light goes, it is hooked up to the hi/low switch and works but still isn't near as bright as what I want to be putting out. Is there a nice bulb that I could put in it like an hid, led? or does it have to fully be replaced.

Thank you for the mirror info, that was useful advice. 

Nice! Thought I was reading my own "future" thread :). Just bought a modded 00e myself... Spent way too much and could of Had an 05 with 2kmiles for what I paid for it. But every mod besides the recluse auto cluch I would of bought anyways...

Glad I'm not the only one shooting in the dark here. I traded a custom built AR15 for my bike, so I'm happy with the arrangement  :rolleyes: 

I'm just trying to get her back to her original glory, which mainly consists of maintenance that was neglected to do over time. Such as the seals on the front fork. My only problem is that I'm a college student that's about to start med school. Soooo to say that my funds are limited, is an understatement to say the least. This is a great forum with guys that have a wealth of knowledge. I'm just looking for some guidance on what to do on a budget. 

Congratulations on your bike, I hope you like/enjoy your bike as much as I am mine. 

P.S. Got any pics?

Edited by Street Legal 400e

Very cool, congrats!!

I'd agree with what was said above, read the FAQ here on TT to familiarize yourself with some of the bike's weaknesses. Looks like you received it well loaded so that's always a relief. ;) I'd probably change the oil, fix the forks if it looks really oily, then go out and ride the sucker! :thumbsup:

Good luck, and have fun!

I know most of its weaknesses, such as the cam chain tensioner (I've been all over this sight and others). I'm having trouble finding the FAQ section again, I feel stupid because it's gotta be right in front of me. 

Relay is wired in series between power and the switch.  (power to relay, relay to switch)

A 2000 DRZ400E only had a single beam headlight.  So I do not know what headlight you have.  If it is the original headlight, someone has changed the bulb or the or the complete lens assembly.  Putting a dual filament bulb in a lens not designed for it seldom works.  The bulb will not be in the focal point of the lens.  If the light is just dim, take some voltage reading at the headlight.  If much under 13 volts, it will be noticeably dim.  If it is lacking a ground you might be powering 2 filaments in series.  That will look like 6 volts on a 12volt bulb (very dim)

Glad I'm not the only one shooting in the dark here. I traded a custom built AR15 for my bike, so I'm happy with the arrangement  :rolleyes: 

I'm just trying to get her back to her original glory, which mainly consists of maintenance that was neglected to do over time. Such as the seals on the front fork. My only problem is that I'm a college student that's about to start med school. Soooo to say that my funds are limited, is an understatement to say the least. This is a great forum with guys that have a wealth of knowledge. I'm just looking for some guidance on what to do on a budget. 

Congratulations on your bike, I hope you like/enjoy your bike as much as I am mine. 

P.S. Got any pics?

Installing new fork seals is not a hard job. Go to Home depot and buy some pvc pipe the right size for tyour forks. Use it to drive the seals in place. Get a Clymer or Haynes DRZ400 book too.

Relay is wired in series between power and the switch.  (power to relay, relay to switch)

A 2000 DRZ400E only had a single beam headlight.  So I do not know what headlight you have.  If it is the original headlight, someone has changed the bulb or the or the complete lens assembly.  Putting a dual filament bulb in a lens not designed for it seldom works.  The bulb will not be in the focal point of the lens.  If the light is just dim, take some voltage reading at the headlight.  If much under 13 volts, it will be noticeably dim.  If it is lacking a ground you might be powering 2 filaments in series.  That will look like 6 volts on a 12volt bulb (very dim)

From the info you've given me, it's a dual filament bulb in the stock housing. Which explains why its so dim. I guess I need to change the whole assembly; I'm not a fan of the housing around the light anyway. My buddies harley has an hid or led headlight that is super bright, can see it from a mile away in daylight. I know I'm not going to achieve that, nor do I expect too. I'm just wanting the most performance I can get without putting a strain on the bike. There are a lot of options out there, any suggestions?

Installing new fork seals is not a hard job. Go to Home depot and buy some pvc pipe the right size for tyour forks. Use it to drive the seals in place. Get a Clymer or Haynes DRZ400 book too.

No get a Suzuki service manual. It is definitely worth the price.