Sign in to follow this  

Crashed bike

So I let someone that I should "trust" let my ride my bike apparently he races all of this being bull and no one telling me he was drunk well he almost blew my bike up and drove doing 100+ km/h off the road and into a forest had to call the ambulance... So cops came bikes impounded for a week cuz a DUI lovely isn't it and I get to pay to get it out even better my bars are bent a bit a didnt really see any other damage should I bring it to a shop and get it checked and make sure everything fine or what are something's to check when I get it out of the impound? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397880820.495324.jpg

2002 KTM 250exc

After a few wrecked bikes and ruined engines, I learned long ago to NEVER LET ANYBODY RIDE YOUR BIKE.  The guy that wants to take it for a spin always has something to prove. And here in the states where everybody sues it's a big liability risk.  I never ask to ride anybody's bike.  If I want to ride one, I buy it.  

• Like 5

After a few wrecked bikes and ruined engines, I learned long ago to NEVER LET ANYBODY RIDE YOUR BIKE. The guy that wants to take it for a spin always has something to prove. And here in the states where everybody sues it's a big liability risk. I never ask to ride anybody's bike. If I want to ride one, I buy it.

Well said.. I don't let ANYONE rife my bike at all. Nor will I get on anyone else's unless I am buying it.

As for the crashed bike

I would have it checked out. Look for case cracks etc. This is a small price to pay for a good lesson. I'm sure you won't let that happen again.

That sucks, but I ask to ride other people's bikes all the time, and I let my friends ride mine anytime they want. If it gets wrecked, big deal, it's just a bike and I will buy another one just like. There is absolutely no emotional attachment to any of my bikes.

I don't like riding other people's bikes because I don't want to be on it when their poor mechanical skills finally pay off and the bike craps out while I am on it.  As for others it seems like some people just don't understand how expensive it is to fix these bikes and run them and they will just hop on it and treat it like crap.

I know they are just machines but they are expensive machines with lots of moving parts.  If your into wrenching and modifying then you have lots of hours invested in them.  All just to have someone who thinks they are awesome run your bike into a tree.  I don't think so.

• Like 6

before you let someone borrow your ride, ask them how they treat rental cars. If they say they abuse the piss outta them, dont let them ride your bike.

Ya but not very many people will be getting anywhere near it when I get her back my bike is my baby got to keep it safe from stupid people and I found out today he broke both his elbows wish the bike was here so I could figure out what's broken on it

2002 KTM 250exc

Ya but not very many people will be getting anywhere near it when I get her back my bike is my baby got to keep it safe from stupid people and I found out today he broke both his elbows wish the bike was here so I could figure out what's broken on it

2002 KTM 250exc

He won't be wiping his ass anytime soon...that's hard way to learn keep your bike under your own ass.
  • Like 1

Ya all I do is work on it haha I'm always reading how to make it run better and learning how to fix more things on it, I plan on being a mech for bikes and shit so I use my stuff to learn with help from people that know better than I, so I have lots of hours into it and not a penny to fix it or even get it out of the impound it gets pretty sickening hearing its just a bike ya just a $2000 bike that I put every penny I have into

2002 KTM 250exc

I never ask to ride anybody's bike.  If I want to ride one, I buy it.  

That right there is a key point.  A REAL motorcycle rider fully understands the intimate bond a rider shares with his/her bike.  As a result they would NEVER ask another rider to ride their bike.  If they do, it's an indication they may not be a real rider....so red flag!!!!

I would never have the balls to ask another rider to ride their bike.  Now if they're offering I may take them up on it, but chances are it's going to be someone I know VERY well and I'm likely going to feel obligated to let them ride MY bike...yikes!!  I recently let a fairly close friend who regularly rides a Yamaha FZR1000 ride my 300.  He just took my bike around the block a couple times and was very respectful (and sober...lol).  He did really well and was amazed at the power delivery.  Every time he touched the throttle the front end would lift, which is pretty different from what he's used to with all the power coming on in the mid to high with his FZR.  He just sold his FZR so I've been trying to get him hooked on dirt bikes....

Op I'm sorry to hear of your grief, hopefully the dumbass will be ok.......P.S.- I like your handle :thumbsup:

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

That right there is a key point.  A REAL motorcycle rider fully understands the intimate bond a rider shares with his/her bike.  As a result they would NEVER ask another rider to ride their bike.  If they do, it's an indication they may not be a real rider....so red flag!!!!

:

A intimate bond huh? I like my bikes and I love owning them but at the end of the day they are just bikes. They can and do get replaced. Real riders understand a bike is just a piece of machinery, and the rider is what makes a person a "real" rider. Those that think nobody but them can handle their bike are shallow condescending nerds. My bikes are currently set up perfect for me and I would sell one without blinking and eye, no sleep would be lost, no tear would be shed. I could wreck one on day and buy a new the next and I shall not weep. They are just bikes, they are just machinery.

• Like 1

If I had lots of extra money I wouldn't care as much.  Then I could pay someone else to do all my mechanical work or just buy a new bike if someone messed it up. 

If I had a couple bikes and had the money to buy a new one it would be different but I still owe my grandparents the money for the bike and lost my job cuz apparently I broke in the shop at night and stole a pressure washer and ratchet straps and if you don't love your bike and don't care if you have it or not it's not the right bike for you honestly

2002 KTM 250exc

A intimate bond huh? I like my bikes and I love owning them but at the end of the day they are just bikes. They can and do get replaced. Real riders understand a bike is just a piece of machinery, and the rider is what makes a person a "real" rider. Those that think nobody but them can handle their bike are shallow condescending nerds. My bikes are currently set up perfect for me and I would sell one without blinking and eye, no sleep would be lost, no tear would be shed. I could wreck one on day and buy a new the next and I shall not weep. They are just bikes, they are just machinery.

It's true, they are just bikes.  But they are different from any other equipment that I own, in that I spend hours with my son's making our bikes just right for us.  So although in the big picture of life they are just a material object, they most certainly are NOT easily replaced.  Sure, we still have the memories and the pictures, but a LOT of work is lost if the bike is lost.  I am sorry if it sounds "nerdy" to you, but when hours and hours of effort is put into something it does feel like a bond.....and excuse me if tearing my bikes down to the frame and meticulously rebuilding them makes me "shallow and condescending".   Our truck or ATV on the other hand, they were bought new and we did nothing to them.  If they were stolen today it would be a call to the insurance company and no big deal.  My lawnmower and weedwacker are "just machinery".... 

I don't recall saying anywhere in my post that "nobody can handle my bike like I can" :excuseme:  I was simply inferring that motorcycle riders tend to be a little particular about their bikes......I'm sorry you took it as such.  I could care less about anyone's skill level.  It's passion that makes a real rider, and that's my opinion so no one has to agree with me....

I guess it's different for everyone, but thanks anyway for your comments ;)

Edited by Fattonz

I don't think there is anything wrong in having a bond with your bike.  Just as long as you're not trying to stick your man part in the muffler.

Edited by DirtSmoker250
  • Like 2

It's true, they are just bikes.  But they are different from any other equipment that I own, in that I spend hours with my son's making our bikes just right for us.  So although in the big picture of life they are just a material object, they most certainly are NOT easily replaced.  Sure, we still have the memories and the pictures, but a LOT of work is lost if the bike is lost.  I am sorry if it sounds "nerdy" to you, but when hours and hours of effort is put into something it does feel like a bond...  Our truck or ATV on the other hand, they were bought new and we did nothing to them.  If they were stolen today it would be a call to the insurance company and no big deal.  Oh, and I don't recall saying anywhere in my post that "nobody can handle my bike like I can" :excuseme:  I was simply inferring that motorcycle riders tend to be a little particular about their bikes......

I guess it's different for everyone, but thanks anyway for your comments ;)

It really goes without saying, for example, one thing I've learned in life not to do is when selling a bike, let the idiot ride it.  Did once, he over revved it, blew the motor, and he of course decided he didn't want it.  Same thing goes with cars and trucks.  The only people I'll let ride anything I own are people I know who are good friends and most of them are responsible to the point where if they damage it, they pay the price to fix it.  I only demand that when they ride any of my bikes, they have full gear.  Now as far as a bond between me and my bikes, yeah I'll say this here and now, I have a very strong bond with all my bikes.  Even when I lent them out, I'm already on pins and needles that nothing will happen to them.  They're not just a "piece of machinery" like someone else here said, they are you salvation when in fact you take them out to the desert like I do and put 50 miles distance from you and your camp.  All my rigs are special to me and I don't consider them a piece of machiney, when in fact, I consider them my friends.  Call me nuts, call me stupid, but the bond that I have with my bikes are special and are never taken lightly.  Now if I was like say the person that considers them just a piece of machinery, then I'd probably back that up by specifying all the "expensive" bikes I own, and the fact that I'm a millionaire to make a statement like that.  Sure, lend your 12k bike to someone that gets on it, wrecks it, etc.,. Go out and buy another, after all, you're rich right?

Please!  This isn't directed towards you Fattonz, someone else that I personally don't want to have to get into an argument with.  If he reads this and he feels it applies to him, then so be it.  But again, only the filthy rich say shit like that, it's just a piece of machinery.  Yeah, you bet. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 2

It really goes without saying, for example, one thing I've learned in life not to do is when selling a bike, let the idiot ride it.  Did once, he over revved it, blew the motor, and he of course decided he didn't want it.  Same thing goes with cars and trucks.  The only people I'll let ride anything I own are people I know who are good friends and most of them are responsible to the point where if they damage it, they pay the price to fix it.  I only demand that when they ride any of my bikes, they have full gear.  Now as far as a bond between me and my bikes, yeah I'll say this here and now, I have a very strong bond with all my bikes.  Even when I lent them out, I'm already on pins and needles that nothing will happen to them.  They're not just a "piece of machinery" like someone else here said, they are you salvation when in fact you take them out to the desert like I do and put 50 miles distance from you and your camp.  All my rigs are special to me and I don't consider them a piece of machiney, when in fact, I consider them my friends.  Call me nuts, call me stupid, but the bond that I have with my bikes are special and are never taken lightly.  Now if I was like say the person that considers them just a piece of machinery, then I'd probably back that up by specifying all the "expensive" bikes I own, and the fact that I'm a millionaire to make a statement like that.  Sure, lend your 12k bike to someone that gets on it, wrecks it, etc.,. Go out and buy another, after all, you're rich right?

Please!  This isn't directed towards you Fattonz, someone else that I personally don't want to have to get into an argument with.  If he reads this and he feels it applies to him, then so be it.  But again, only the filthy rich say shit like that, it's just a piece of machinery.  Yeah, you bet. :devil:

No offense taken :thumbsup: In fact, as I read your post I felt the entire time like you were validating my points, until I read the part where you said it's not directed at me...lol.

My post that you quoted was simply my response to a post in which I felt attacked...

P.S.- Check your pm