Sign in to follow this  

Compression or Rebound?

I have a question about which to test first here, I know its a simple question but it still perplexes me :banghead: ....Ive been racking my brain trying to dial in my suspension on my 06 RM250. I know these Showas have great potential but I seem to be keep hitting a roadblock. I have resprung both ends correctly for my weight and riding style for moto and trust me ive double checked it multiple times. 

So today I finally went for a yardsale change because the bike has been riding high in the stroke in the front forever and I can t seem to get it to use full travel or at least 3/4 on a regular basis and its harsh unless I slam something and on big jumps it feels great but its near impossible to ride comfortable. Ive even lowered the oil height from 350cc's (stock) to 310 cc's and its gotten better but still not comfortable and sketch a lot of times. The shock seems to be decent and works good enough but even it was "dead" feeling. The bike is in great shape and all that noise linkage  gets greased on a regular basis and torqued correctly. 

Im going riding tomorrow and decided out of frustration to back both comp and reb to full soft on the forks and shock, surprisingly it feels as though its had a revalve I can tell itll need a LITTLE comp and reb fine tuning to stiffer but not much from 0 which really surprised me. Also I went about a full turn softer on the shock HSC and softened up the rebound to 0 or close to and the bike has a very fluid feel to it when garage bouncing (yes I know that is far from accurate) but off memory it feels and moves like a perfectly revalved bike.

My question is, if Im going to adjust to stiffer settings from zero (both fork and shock), which should I work on first, the compression or the rebound to help better find a good baseline setting?

Rebound will always affect compression so start there

Then comp

Then rebound

Then comp

See a pattern

Start with 3-4 clicks at a time so you can really notice a difference

Do only one adjustment at a time

Fox has a good chart on their website for adjustment and symptoms

Thank you ive been trying to ge it to work off predefined stuff from the manual and various suspension tuner suggestions and its just not quite right… I know it can be good I can tell but I'm just way off taking suggestions so I'm just going to "rambo" it bec I feel its cause already abd as strange as that sounds, its very close at full soft. I'm not THAT slow. Either haha. But. Havimg. Ridden bikes revalved I know what I'm looking for looking forward to tomorrow

Suspension testing is a grind but it pays big.  You've got it made though if you can find a piece of terrain that really tests the setup.  Personally I think the shock is valved oddly.