Sign in to follow this  

79 Honda XR185 for sale

Looking to sell this 79 XR185, decent condition runs drives strong, shifts, no major problems. broken taillight and missing bolts for the plastic. Ive recently derusted the tank, cleaned the carb, new fuel lines etc, new front brake cable and rear innertube, needs headlight switch theres one from a different bike on right now, havnt finished wiring it. looking to get 700, its the only year made and pretty rare. email me josh52894@aim.com  or text or call (281) 570-8773 Im in Phoenix Arizona.

10171084_10202550693027531_2441564453730

At the press intro back in '79, this bike was overlooked due to the release of the xr250 & 500. Then when Dirt Bike Magazine took delivery of the diminutive 185, they couldnt keep the testers off it. For 1st gear trails, nothing could hang with it. It's biggest problem? The KDX 175........

Edited by ickfinger

yea, I noticed right after I posted this, im new here. I was doing research and couldn't turn up much on this bike. I bought it to ride around but im moving again. if its that rare ill probably try to take it with me.

yea, I noticed right after I posted this, im new here. I was doing research and couldn't turn up much on this bike. I bought it to ride around but im moving again. if its that rare ill probably try to take it with me.

If you like it , keep it. Sometimes rare just means hard to get parts for! In this case, the following xr200r was a more sought after model. Finding plastic for a '79 185 is no easy task. If you got $700 for your ride, you would have gotten every penny it's worth.

So Im better off keeping it and being happy to own a rare bike that is also a whole bunch of fun? that's cool with me, the only people who have tried to buy it so far have wanted it as daily riders, witch its totally not good for.

These are great fun bikes. Had the second one at dealer when they came out as dad got first. The 79 XR185 and 1980 xr200 are same bike (except for bore) and only years the twin shock had aluminum rims, tool bag, shorter seat and a few other items. They made xr200 with dual shock til 84 but used steel rims, big seat etc and I believe no lights. These are easily modified and make wonderful trail/vintage MX bikes. I have RFVC 200 modified forks with XR350 front wheel and White Bros aluminum swingarm with custom shocks. A simple 13-1 218cc with loads of extra work on motor. One of the finest tight woods bikes after I got done. Weighs less than single shock version and with 10" suspension all around it is enough.

If you get serious like I did you should consider a frame cradle. I made mine from Chrome moly and it stiffens up frame and functions as a skid plate also.  Note side panel on exhaust side is near impossible to find. Always melted or broke. Keep it and put a standard wiseco 65.5 piston and rebuild. Will always run and fun as hell in tight trails. Also rear shocks were marginal and make a horrible squeaking sound

Wow, thanks for the information, I'm going to copy that and save it for later. I've decided to keep it, I figured out a way to take it with me when I move. just broke the petcock tho, do you know a good parts source online? I cant find one that even has the 185 as a option to search for parts. should I just search 200? Ive been getting my parts from RideNow in Peoria AZ.

hey thanks drtbiker188, ive been looking all over the web for a site with xr185 parts..... that site will help me tremendously.