Sign in to follow this  

1987 XR200R restoration

Its finally finished!! Started work on this project in early January after a friend of mine gave me the bike...it was given to him by someone else....The best I can tell the bike had been in barn type storage for many years. The bike had been dissasembled and a restoration was started by someone else in the late 90's..I found a name on a receipt from the local honda shop in a box of parts and after a little research I believe the person in question who started the project would have been about 15 at the time. After cleaning it up I found the frame had already been blasted and professionally painted...not a rattle can job...it was silver and not the shasta white that was original to the bike, but it looked nice and so decided to just leave it. It had new swing arm pivot bearings and new steering head bearings...other than that it was a pile of junk and the deeper I got into it it seemed the worse it got. I stopped keeping track of the cost after I replaced all of the bushings and bearings in the rear suspension...In retrospect could have bought a small lathe and some bar stock and turned out my own for less...oh well.

The engine completely gone through, all springs and bearings replaced with oem...transmission all new bushings shims, circlips, countershaft and bearings. external shift mechanism all new wear components,  Crank rebuilt with new con rod. Valve seats cut, Kibblewhite valves and springs with a megacycle needle bearing cam. Wiseco piston in bored cyl. Xr's only head pipe with DG silencer.

Suspension all rebuilt, new seals and bushings in forks, rear shock rebuilt, progressive springs front and rear..the seat is part of the suspension on this bike and the foam and cover were also replaced!

Mechanically the bike was done to new or better than new specs down to reboulding the kickstart lever and the kickstand. It feels like anew bike.

This forum has been an invaluable resource many questions were answered and riddles solved just by reading...had to ask one question on the forum everything else had been asked and answered by someone else, anyway here are some pics of the project and the finished bike, feel free to ask any questions.  Tom

IMG-20140120-00894.jpgIMG-20140207-00902.jpgMcKinney-20140207-00904.jpgMcKinney-20140211-00907.jpgWP_20140419_002.jpgWP_20140419_006.jpgWP_20140419_007.jpgWP_20140419_008.jpgWP_20140419_009.jpgWP_20140419_011.jpg

• Like 1

Great job man, looks brand new. My grandpa and dad had one of these new back in the day. Yours turned out great!!

• Like 1

Man, this bike looks great. good job on rebuild. mine is no where near as nice. looks like fun!!

Flyhud,

Nice job, I especially like the silver frame scheme.

Where did you get the bronze paint for the side covers ???

Also the red in on linkage, rear shock reservoir and some of the bolts, red paint ???

Michael 

Hey thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate it.  Michael, the red is a duplicolor product that gives an anodized look to metal that is clean and somewhat reflective. I doubt if it is all that durable but time will tell, the bronze is also a duplicolor brand enamel, I clearcoated the parts and baked them in the oven for a few hours at around 220 degrees. I have attached pics of the stuff I used, got them both at O'Reilleys auto parts.

Update on the bike....was getting some unusual noise coming from the head, and after checking the valve lash and the timing chain tension the noise persisted, I removed the new megacycle cam and discovered that the small end of the cam that the needle bearing rides on was galling....ugggh...I put the stock cam back in the head and the noise dissapeared. I spoke to Barbara at megacycle and she said that it was probably not hardened properly on the bearing surface during manufacture, the lobes look fine, anyway I shipped it back to them yesterday and they are going to take care of it for me. It definitely doesnt have the torque with the stock cam.

I have not had the chance to take it out on the trails and get it dirty yet.  I have a friend that has an early 70's 2 stroke Suzuki that he restored and is taking it to a bike show this weekend, he really liked my xr and thought it would do well at the show so he is going to take it, I already promised my girls I would take them riding this weekend so I will be on my crf250x.

WP_20140423_003.jpgWP_20140423_004.jpg

Thanks Flyhud for the bronze paint info, I also have the 87 and it has that bronze paint on the motor as well.

Which Megacycle cam did you get and did they recommend a higher compression piston ???

I know when I spoke to the Gal @ Megacycle she did not say anything about a HC pistion, but the Gal I spoke with at WebCams did.

The Gal at Webcams stated you needed a HC piston to compensate for the more radical cam timing, so you do not lose your bottom end. 

Michael 

Edited by KTM520EXC

I used the Megacycle 143-00 cam, I did a lot of research, mainly on this site before plunking down the $400+ for a cam. Based on the cam specs and from what I learned it looks like the 143-00 is considerably more agressive than the stock cam, and the other cam grinds they sell the 143-20 and the 143-40 get pretty radical.  The Megacycle description of the 143-00 cam states " OK with stock piston and springs.  Increases mid-range power and torque. Smooth idle" 

I am using the Wiseco 4156M06700 it is a 67.00 mm piston which is 1.5 mm oversize bore (204 cc). the compression ratio is 10:1, same as stock. I also used Kibblewhite springs with the the heavy steel base washers and the titanium upper retaining washers. (kibblewhite kit no. 30-4021) the spring setup is probably overkill, as from what I've read the stock springs are fine with that cam.

As far as bottom end loss with the 143-00 cam I noticed gains across the rpm range and more noticeably at the botttom end. As I stated I havent had the bike out on the trails, but from doing my neighbor annoying street runs, and going from the megacycle back to the stock and riding the bike within an hour with both cams, the stock cam noticeably flattened the power out at all rpm's. I am running stock timing but after some break in time and when I get the megacycle cam back in it I will advance the timing 3-4 degrees as well.

Flyhud,

That is extremely good data and would appreciate it when you get a chance to post your results once you get the cam sorted out. 

As far as CR, I think with your 1.5mm overbore you are closer to 10:5 to 1. 67mm is cutting it pretty close, so I hope your cylinder lasts the test of time. 

Once I get the suspension to the point that the motor does not out perform them (brutal suspension for long term riding) then I am off to the motor performance part of my project, so I am curious as how this works out as a package. 

Do you have any head pipe or muffler upgrades as part of your package ???

Michael 

I'm running the XR's Only head pipe and a DG cannister (dg-04) the DG setup works well with either the stock head pipe or the XR's Only unit, both slip together with no modifications needed.  The DG setup was pretty quiet with the stock head pipe, but now its pretty loud with the considerably larger diameter XR's Only head pipe. I was surprised that the head pipe made that much difference in noise.  I read a lot of pretty posetive reviews on the DG unit and I'm impressed so far, really nice fit and finish and good quality, especially for the price when compared to other options. I brazed bungs onto the XR's Only head pipe to use the stock heatshield, I was going to leave the heatshield off to save a little weight, but it started burning up my brand new oem compression release cable..using the stock shield seemed the best solution as it also protects the cable from the pipe.

I hope the 67 mm bore hols up as well...I have another fresh bored 66 mm cylinder and piston ready to go just in case!

Your question about the exhaust just made me realize there wasnt a good pic of the bike from the right side so here it is...WP_20140424_001.jpg

Congratulations on building such a great-looking bike!  :thumbsup:   I really think that's the nicest XR200 I've ever seen.  For some reason, that XRs Only header really makes the bike look a lot better.

Flyhud,

Great job on the restoration!  I did a 1991 in 2012 but you went further than I did.  I did repaint the frame in silver and agree that it looks great on the 200.

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:727]

Hey Tom,

Any luck with MegaCycle on your replacement cam ???

Michael 

everytime i look on xr's only it says head pipe not available

and i look damn near everyday...a little help

and damn i thought i put alot of effort into my bike...u giving me some ideas for the winter...looks great xcellent work

im not trying b a smartass but just looked xr200 head pipe out of stock as always...now that nearly $300 muffler always seems to b there

Edited by 75nova420