Sign in to follow this  

Serious thorn issues, many punctures

Hi group,

I'm riding a xr650r and a CRF450x in Senegal. Just back from a week long off-road trip in the north. Plagued by two inch thorns (5cm) puncturing tires, extnding almost 1/2" inside the tire and tube and literally hundreds of goat-head thorns covering the tires. What do you guys do or use? Any alternative than using a Bib Mousse?

Thanks, Steve

I use slime. The green stuff.

I thought that stuff was explosive? Or did they change the mixture? My father who is a mechanic of 35 years swears when it was first manufactured it was explosive. Perhaps no longer..

I thought that stuff was explosive? Or did they change the mixture? My father who is a mechanic of 35 years swears when it was first manufactured it was explosive. Perhaps no longer..

I think you are thinking of a different product.

Mike

Fix a flat is explosive!

It used a propane based propellant, which when hot will over expand the tire causing severe damage.

The green slime is like a jelly is just coats and seals up to a 1/4" hole.

I used to own a business removing and clearing fence rows for farmers. I used it in the tractors on the job. I've run a steel electric fence post in a tire on a hoe. It sealed it. Made me a true believer in this product.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

Fix a flat is explosive!

It used a propane based propellant, which when hot will over expand the tire causing severe damage.

I used to own a business removing and clearing fence rows for farmers. I used it in the tractors on the job. I've run a steel electric fence post in a tire on a hoe. It sealed it. Made me a true believer in this product.

Used slime and HD tubes in all our bikes here in AZ, can't remember our last on the trail/race flat. But remember that additional weight (rotational mass) of your tires will assure a last place finish in your next event!  Well made a mistake here, second to last, you finished ahead of the weight zelot that uses LD tubes, no slime, because he had both tires flat 5 minutes into the event!    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

• Like 1

Fix a flat is explosive!

Now I know!! Haha. Perhaps that is what my father meant all along but I've never seen fix a flat lately. I knew there was one of them that was explosive! Thanks for the correction!

Yup guess I was. I've seen Slime all over the stores but not fix a flat like someone else pointed out. I wasn't too sure!

I worked in a bike shop that sold Kevlar liner material for tube type tires. Probably wouldn't add nearly as much weight as slime even if you did multiple layers. Do they sell a similar product for motorcycle tires? I know the thorns you are talking about. Not as many of them in southeast senegal but they are nasty.

Bibs are great. We'll worth the money

My understanding of bibs is that they are a real pain to get mounted but worth the hard work however I did read somewhere a while back that they don't hold up too well to high heat in desert situations.

I contacted a manufacturer of Kevlar armor who use several different types, weaves, and thicknesses of Kevlar. He said a single layer wouldn't do it and he wasn't sure how many layers it would take. Slime sounds like a much easier, cheaper solution.