Sign in to follow this  

Question on the 500 xc-w for moto x and offroad

Hi

So I came across a smoking deal from my buddy on a 13' 500 xcw. Ive always ridden mx and as im getting older I wanted to start doing some off road riding. The forks are off a 2009 505 sxf and there revalved along with the shock. I rode the bike at hangtown yesterday and other than gearing the bike is very much moto worthy. The first time I rode it the gearing was stock with a 13/50, on the track the only gear usable was 4th, 1,2 and 3rd were useless. So I put a 13/48 combo on there and rode yesterday and now 3rd is usable but it feels more like 2nd gear on a 450, and 4th gear now does not pull me the way I want it too. I called Munn and have a map switch coming , and I put a fmf 4.1 on it. Ive researched around and there are a few options but if I can get some hands on info that would be great. For those that have been running the 14/50 gearing can you tell me how 3rd/4th gears feel.

As far as the mapping and tps adjustment goes what will be my best bet ? I did not have any flame out issues yesterday with the fmf slip on but id like more response

Choices ive read on here.

tps magic mod

jd tuner

euro map

and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I know its a xcw but it is going to be a bike I can moto during the week and offroad here and there on the weekends. Ill get the suspension figured out it started to come around after a lot of adjusting but the gearing is is my main concern right now. I have mousse bibs in the tires and did not ride the bike with the stock tires/tubes, when you switched to the mousse did it drag the motor down some as far as how it accelerates ?

Thanks for the help.

I've been running 14/52 on my '12 450 XC-W and it seems to be the best combo I've tried so far.  I ride about 50/50 trails and MX, and for sure the XC-W gearbox will never be perfect for MX but it works pretty well for both with 14/52.  I have been tempted to try 14/50, especially with the 500 it's probably worth a try.  I run an FMF 4.1 and I haven't had any big problems with flame outs and so far I haven't changed my TPS from the factory setting - I've heard some are different than others so it's probably worth looking into. 

I have a 530 so a little different but not a great deal. The bike came with 13-51 combo. The first was way too low and I went through gears pretty quick. I swapped a 14 in and it is pretty close to perfect now. I still have a bull low first but it is usable and the other gears are way better. I can rev them out better and can also lug them.

I have a 2011 KTM 530 EXC. I left the rear stock but went to a 15 tooth front. I can get down to about 5 or 6 mph without stalling but the dam(n) bike still has a top end of about 82 on the GPS. It has been de-smogged. Scary fast low end!

I run 14/52. The 500 has a weird trans, 1st/2nd are tight and then a healthy jump to 3rd. Running 14/52 allows me to use 3/4/5th on the track, 6th for high speed runs and 1/2nd in the tight trees...

When I ran 14/50, I can compromise but I struggled finding my shifting points because I was so comfortable using 14/52 for so long... I also never noticed any drag with the Bib Mousse. You really have to get used to the bike being all bottom and mid with no rev. You just have to keep short shifting...

I run 115mm of sag and my forks are CC off a 2010 Berg. One large improvement I found was aftermarket 20mm triple clamps. They really stiffen the front end up and make the bike turn better and more stable...

JD TUNER is nice but mine has pretty much been a set it and forget it deal. I did adjust my TPS but haven't experienced the Magic Mod...

And I should mention that I run a Rekluse too..

Edited by Monk