Sign in to follow this  

2001 ttr 90 carb questions

Hi Everyone, hate to ask a question as a first post but i'm stuck and need some help.

I have a 2001 ttr 90, it's been sitting for about 4 years, my son has started to show interest in driving it and i figured i would get the bike up and running.

So i cleaned the tank and soaked the carb for a day in carb cleaner (bought a canadian tire it's not very good) and then boiled it in vinegar.

cleaned all jets and ports and put the carb back together added new gas and she fired right up on the third kick.

here's my issue, the bike will only idle as soon as i give her some gas she bogs out.

i have read conflicting ways to set up the idle and mixture screws and went with what i remember from my old 2stroke days, bottom out screws gently and turn out 1 and a 1/4 turns. this was my starting point. i just read to count the turns on the pilot jet in the bowl and put back the same amount of turns, well i just snugged up the pilot jet screw. should it be turned out 1 and a 1/4 turns as well?

I did try and find a tune up kit for the ttr 90 carb but all i can find is parts for the ttr 125 or ttr 50. the only info i find on the ttr 90 says to get an aftermarket carb as the one (mikuni 22m)  yamaha put on the ttr 90's are crap. is this true? are they crap carbs? is there a rebuild kit for the ttr 90's?

Thanks

Edited by HackitZ

I figured after reading all the post i could find about the ttr to just pick up some new jets, 90 for the main jet and upgrade the pilot jet to 15.

So does any one know where i can order them from here in canada?

jets are us wants a money order mailed to them and i was looking to get them as fast as possible.

Thanks for any help.

The pilot jet is not the pilot screw (fuel screw is what it's called, usually)

The pilot jet goes inside the carburetor body by screwing it down snug.

The fuel screw is under a brass plug when the bike is stock, and this is the one that is supposed to be set at a certain number of turns out from lightly closed.

If the bike won't rev when opening the throttle, I guess the pilot jet/pilot circuit is still plugged-up, and you need to take a better whack at cleaning the carburetor.